When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New and need help identifying bike

-

Ross Robert

On Training Wheels
Hi all

Your help would be appreciated, this bike is in NZ, so just keep this in mind, it may have been modified.This appears to be a BSA but I am unsure of the date and model. It would seem to be a 1950's model perhaps. I thought it was a wayfarer, but cant find them in 50's with badges and similar reflector, so would appreciate some input.
DSC04991.JPG
DSC04988.JPG
DSC04987.JPG
DSC04983.JPG
DSC04981.JPG

Its got 28" wheels, its got a Perry back brake only, it looks as though its been painted all back,and under neath this paint it appears originally to have been back and red and white. Its a 21" frame. Its badge is the enameled one with trade mark on it and it has what I conclude is a 50's style reflector on it. It has a number on the frame KA7504... On the chain guard you can see the faint outline of BSA.

It has an unusual front fork configuration, with an extra piece, which I cant find on any other model. It looks as though its there for strengthening and may have been added later

DSC04987.JPG

Hi all

Your help would be appreciated, this bike is in NZ, so just keep this in mind, it may have been modified.This appears to be a BSA but I am unsure of the date and model. It would seem to be a 1950's model perhaps. I thought it was a wayfarer, but cant find them in 50's with badges and similar reflector, so would appreciate some input.View attachment 774607 View attachment 774608 View attachment 774609 View attachment 774610 View attachment 774611

Its got 28" wheels, its got a Perry back brake only, it looks as though its been painted all back,and under neath this paint it appears originally to have been back and red and white. Its a 21" frame. Its badge is the enameled one with trade mark on it and it has what I conclude is a 50's style reflector on it. It has a number on the frame KA7504... On the chain guard you can see the faint outline of BSA.

It has an unusual front fork configuration, with an extra piece, which I cant find on any other model. It looks as though its there for strengthening and may have been added later

View attachment 774609
Yup, BSA, 3 rifles emblem. Birmingham Small Arms. ( probably the most valuable is the military BSA paratrooper/folding bicycle) British all the way. I'm in Canada. We were a British colony as well, so many of our early bicycles originated in England, although there were some very successful Canadian manufactures. CCM for one/ Canadian Cycle and Motor company. Most Canadian and English bicycles were more "conservative" in design that our American friends bicycles ( especially 1930's through late 1950's balloon era). More utilitarian ( not stylish but useful) and not as collectible for those reasons. That said, many of the collectors are recognizing such simpler designs to be historically significant, and are gaining recognition. Of course European bicycles ( generally) fall into the same utilitarian category, and lets face it, that's how Schwinn started in 1933/based on observation of the market and products developing there. Welcome to the Cabe!!

Welcome to the Cabe!

Maybe it is the angle of the photos but I think your frame and forks are damaged. A straight on side profile pic of the bike would aid in that determination. Instead of the usual bent backwards fork from a "T-bone" collision, yours appear to be bent forward in the other direction. However, your top tube and down shows typical T-bone collision damage just behind the juncture at the head tube. The top tube looks like it was sleeved at the damaged area as well.

I suspect the fork was probably bent backwards from a head on collision, then it was straightened out. However, the fork was weakened in the collision and at some point started to splay forwards - hence the truss rods welded to mitigate the problem. I would not ride it - it probably handles very squirrely and a sudden fork failure or separation of the top tube might mean serious or fatal injuries to the rider, even at low speed.

Welcome to the Cabe!

Maybe it is the angle of the photos but I think your frame and forks are damaged. A straight on side profile pic of the bike would aid in that determination. Instead of the usual bent backwards fork from a "T-bone" collision, yours appear to be bent forward in the other direction. However, your top tube and down shows typical T-bone collision damage just behind the juncture at the head tube. The top tube looks like it was sleeved at the damaged area as well.

I suspect the fork was probably bent backwards from a head on collision, then it was straightened out. However, the fork was weakened in the collision and at some point started to splay forwards - hence the truss rods welded to mitigate the problem. I would not ride it - it probably handles very squirrely and a sudden fork failure or separation of the top tube might mean serious or fatal injuries to the rider, even at low speed.

Great observations.

Welcome to the Cabe!

Thanks, this helps alot.

Back