When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New B.S.A Mk.V

-

leo healy

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi Lads

This is the new acquisition ,very good condition ,original green paint under the black, early number ,just need to replace a few bits, front mud guard, saddle ,tyres,O and Repaint or Oil down ?.

015.JPG

004.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

006.JPG

014.JPG

Hi @leo healy

You've probably seen this site, but just in case:

And a more general discussion from another site I haunt:

These bikes were not dated on the frame, but the rack, which seems to be missing from yours. They do turn up on Ebay UK though.

As to cleaning or painting, really that's up to you. Bikes used by the military are often abused also, so the paint quality at the moment is not impossible for a bike still in service.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Beautiful bike! I'm a preservationist rather than a restorer at heart, and in this condition, I would try to clean to reveal the original green paint and "oily rag" it. Please share your progress!

Hi Lads

Thanks for your Input,
I have removed the black paint which was easy enough,only to reveal why it was on there ,to hide how much green paint was missing:expressionless: ,its back to steel and green paint for now,few pics so ya can see for yourself.
Im thinking of a complete respray, but i am going to leave it for now.

009.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

023.JPG

007.JPG

019.JPG

Great pics. I have the same bike, which I found in Ireland. The MkV stamp may indicate that yours is Irish as well. I am not sure if the British Military marked their bikes in this manner. The lighter green is also the typical of Irish military bikes from what I have seen on line. The BSA museum is the best reference on these, though there is an old Militaria magazine with great info on British WW2 roadster bicycles. --David

You're welcome....

The ABL marking on the frame just indicates Post WW2 Belgian Army use....
A lot of the European based MkV came out of Belgium in the early 1990s

Here's mine, from the same batch, restored, Ser# 136102

Also want to ad, the date on the luggage rack is the rack's date, not necessarily the bicycle maufacturing date...

T136102-17Mei15 (1).jpg

Hi Lads

I hope everyone is keeping well, since i posted this i was unable to travel outside our county and 5km before that but managed to source a few bits over the phone ,"to be collected "as there is nothing like going to the source, out of the phone conversation it looks like i may have found another bsa not sure yet as to type,so that kind a sealed the fate of this mkv as for getting painted,
Now the paint color i have no idea as to the color just that i was given a nondescript pot a few years back to paint a bike i restored for a museum .

031.JPG

027.JPG

035.JPG

013.JPG

026.JPG

015.JPG

Back