When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Bike

-
I don't know if this has been posted in this thread, but this is from Phil Marshall the Cleveland Welding guy ,

(my serial number is D73867)
I think I've posted this earlier but Phil is very knowledgeable on CWC dating.....
The key to dating your bike is the Cw symbol stamped after the end of the serial number. CWC ran through the same serial numbers several times from 1935 through 1956 and for postwar bikes the key to dating them is to first recognize the features that define them as postwar frames and then look for the symbol that follows the serial number. Bikes with the Cw stamp were from the second postwar run through the alphabet and the first bikes in this series rarely have the Cw stamp. By the time “D” was reached the suffix stamp became quite commonplace, probably to begin separating the series from the first wartime or postwar “D” serialed bikes. My best data-modeled estimate is that the Cw series was produced from 1947 through 1949. The exact transition from the first series to the second series is still debatable so I have slid the scale a bit several times to try to align it with actual bikes, ads, and other factors to come up with the most likely scenario. The second postwar serial number series bikes were produced with serial numbers ranging from A00001 through J99999, assumedly in sequence. A bike with a “D” serial number would, following this logic, have a build date in approximately mid 1948.

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread, but this is from Phil Marshall the Cleveland Welding guy ,

(my serial number is D73867)
I think I've posted this earlier but Phil is very knowledgeable on CWC dating.....
The key to dating your bike is the Cw symbol stamped after the end of the serial number. CWC ran through the same serial numbers several times from 1935 through 1956 and for postwar bikes the key to dating them is to first recognize the features that define them as postwar frames and then look for the symbol that follows the serial number. Bikes with the Cw stamp were from the second postwar run through the alphabet and the first bikes in this series rarely have the Cw stamp. By the time “D” was reached the suffix stamp became quite commonplace, probably to begin separating the series from the first wartime or postwar “D” serialed bikes. My best data-modeled estimate is that the Cw series was produced from 1947 through 1949. The exact transition from the first series to the second series is still debatable so I have slid the scale a bit several times to try to align it with actual bikes, ads, and other factors to come up with the most likely scenario. The second postwar serial number series bikes were produced with serial numbers ranging from A00001 through J99999, assumedly in sequence. A bike with a “D” serial number would, following this logic, have a build date in approximately mid 1948.
Thank you!!! Good information!!!

I also need a rear wheel and chain.... I was going to see if the wheels from my beach cruisers fit. Will the Roadmaster accept the standard 26" rims that are on my Schwinns? Chain???
The wheels and chain should be the same except for the drop center wheels used on the Schwinns. Good starting point and a really cool bike with that neato Roadmaster springer forks.. Good luck.. RideOn...

Here are two of my many cases where no visible paint was left when i got them, and here is the after of each where I was able to bring back the original paint to some degree with just elbow grease and time. Neither have had paint added and neither have been polished, just scrubbed and cleaned.

What looks like "solid rust" in most cases is just millions of little rust dots and covered in rust staining from rain and run-off. You would be shocked at what can come back

asfound.jpg

45CWC.jpeg

FSFA2.jpg

FSFA.jpg

Here are two of my many cases where no visible paint was left when i got them, and here is the after of each where I was able to bring back the original paint to some degree with just elbow grease and time. Neither have had paint added and neither have been polished, just scrubbed and cleaned.

What looks like "solid rust" in most cases is just millions of little rust dots and covered in rust staining from rain and run-off. You would be shocked at what can come back

View attachment 1737419

View attachment 1737420

View attachment 1737421

View attachment 1737423
Nice job Chris.. Both of these bikes look OUTSTANDING... It's amazing what a little bit of time and elbow grease will do to old OG paint.. Thanks for sharing.. RideOn....

View attachment 1737419

View attachment 1737420

View attachment 1737421

View attachment 1737423
Nice job!!! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Back