When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Blackout Hubs Model D rear & front. Spokes and Rims

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
$400
Zipcode

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
In the recent hoard I bought were these two wheels on a 1980's Schwinn Cantilever frame. A lot of the bike was painted copper (including these wheels). After closer inspection I found that the wheels had previously been apart and sand blasted and painted at least 3 times different colors, the last of which was this copper. The paint is severely baked on and will need a very long stripper bath or sand blasted again. I don't know if they are ND rims or what, but they are very old also. the one pic of the inside of the rim is the worst of it. They are in really good shape.
The nipples appear to be newish.
The spokes could go either way, but I'll bet are newer black spokes although, they possibly could be blackout spokes.
The hubs are New Departure front and rear and the black on them is very tough, and in good condition. The brake arm was also painted copper. Rear hub is a model D with an oil/grease partridge.
The bikes color scheme was white and copper. Everything that would normally be chrome was painted copper. Nothing else was painted black so Im thinking these are war time blackout hubs. (the bike was very gaudy ugly)
Please let me know different or point me to ways to help prove yes or no. If they are original blackouts, they are in fantastic condition. Front and rear spin easily and freely.
I will be glad to disassemble the entirety for easier cleaning, inspection and shipping.
The price is considering that they are blackouts and shipping is included.

After further inspection, cleaning and disassembly;
The hub is a factory black paint job evidence by VERY old grease in the crannys, parts such as the end covers not painted black and the sprocket ring doesn't look like its ever been off. The sprocket is a hard, highly catalized black also. All these parts were painted black before assembly. Not rattle can. Looking at the sprocket closely, it does not show heavy wear and if this was powder coat it would not chip and scrape off the way it has.
The nipples are aluminum and 1/2 are corroded terribly. New junk.
The spokes are of a thinner gauge than one would expect on an old wheel and are painted, not adonized. Not rattle can. but obviously newer.
The rims have indeed been sand blasted previously but are un-marked, They are re-usable
All parts except the nipples are in good condition.

$400 includes shipping. PM me if interested, I will gladly separate and consider offers.

NDBO7.jpeg

Last edited:
Back