When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Brake "Drag"

-

Buster1

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Guys,

I have a '41 ND Model D that I refurbed and have done a few test rides on.

Bottom line, when I brake, I hear a hissing sound, then sometimes the brakes stay engaged at about 50% power.

Any ideas? Did we not lube it up right?

What did you use to lubricate the brake surfaces? The classic cause of sticking is using a heavy grease or the like. The original literature usually describes using heavy weight gear oil, not grease, say something like 80 or 90 weight gear oil. There are other possibilities, but that is the most common.

Modern bearing grease. My LBS guy did it. Maybe there is too much? He apparently knows ND hubs. But who knows.

Yeah, that sounds like he greased everything. Use grease on the bearings and drive screw inside of a ND hub, everything else gets heavy oil or else the brake discs can remain engaged. Especially if a really tacky grease is used as these hubs rely on the discs to slide freely back to a disengaged position.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, looks like I got my next project...opening up the ND and un-greasing discs.

That may also explain the small "filler port" on the hub side for adding oil occasionally, not grease. :confused: I'll keep y'all posted on what I uncover.

Buster

Too bad...I was just in Vegas this week and would have taken a look at it for ya had I known...as for the grease, no LBS I have ever been to is going to have heavy grease, everything in use today is light synthetic grease and I have used several combinations including various oils with similar success. Anything and everything has worked equally fine. And I always apply a small, thin layer of syn grease to each disc with no problems and I put a lot of miles on my bikes.
When assembled correctly, ND hubs don't drag or ghost pedal so that leads me to believe that either the hub is not properly assembled/adjusted or parts/hub may be damaged or worn out. Since it is an old bike and will need a little maintenence from time to time, it is in your best interest to learn to take it apart.
There is a chance that I will be back in Vegas next weekend (slim chance at the moment) so if you get it apart and have issues, I could look at it then...in the meantime, here is a link to more info on the hubs
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth...ew-Departure-Hubs&highlight=rebuild+departure

I did my very first a few weeks back...

30wt worked great... no issues from the moment I first got on it... non-synthetic... just plain old 30wt

Guys,

I'm going to re-open this thread. Spent some time today with the "new" girl and fixed a few minor squawks she had. The one major-ish one is still this ND Model D hub.

I put 3-4 drops of oil in the oil port and went for a slow ride in front of the house. That seemed to help a little. I then waited about an hour and put 4 more drops of light oil in the port and went back out for a test. Seems the brake "drag" is gone. However, when braking there is still a light 'hiss' sound from the hub. I am getting good braking action, very strong actually (enough to skid the tire if I chose...but I don't do that :rolleyes:).

So is this light hiss normal? Am I grinding metal? I'm prepared to open her up if needed, but since the oil fixed the drag issue, maybe it just needs some time and miles to fix the hiss?

Thoughts?

IMG_4540-1.jpg

IMG_4547-1.jpg

Now, did you degrease the brake discs & then liberally lube with oil? Or was it left dry & then lubed with the few drops through the hub port? I did the same thing as you did on my first couple hubs, Same "ghost" pedalling. After disassembling them again,cleaning all the grease with brake clean & clean rags, I soaked the discs pretty good in motor oil. No issues whatsoever now. I also get a slight "hiss" when braking. I'm pretty sure thats normal. Even though there is oil, there are metal parts being forced together to bring you and your bike to a grinding halt. Absolutely beautiful bike BTW! Mike

Mike, I am delaying the inevitable I guess. I probably need to pull the whole thing apart and check it out. This attempt is just a first attempt to see what happens with just the oil. I will see what an overnight sit does and try her out again tomorrow. If she still hisses, I will pull the wheel. I am not excited about pulling my just completed bike apart, but i do have fun doing the work! ;)

I didn't verify what was greased and what was oiled when the LBS put it together, and I think the discs may be dry or at a minimum, greased. That's my fault for not checking it out before attaching it to the bike, however I am still learning these old ND hubs.

Thanks for the advice!

Back