When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure coaster hub question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
I tore this hub a while back for cleaning and greasing. Was working fine for the past year till yesterday when I noticed it sometimes takes about 1/4 to 1/2 crank turn to engage. Not every time but happens when braking then pedaling forward you get that almost 1/2 crank turn before engaging. I will take it apart this weekend so what will I be looking for causing this issue?

Check to make sure the disc stack is .75" and the transfer spring is not broke or missing the protruding piece that extends into the clutch sleeve.

Agree that the spring is the problem. Probably not broken, but the little tang on it can get dislodged from the clutch sleeve as srfndoc said. If the tang is damaged, there are NOS parts available. If that's not it, be aware that you can add more discs to build up the stack. It'll fit more than the 17 it's supposed to have. When I opened up mine I found 24 and I rebuilt it with 25, since you alternate splined bronze and un-splined steel discs and have un-splined steel on either end, so you need to have an odd number of discs. I only have to back pedal about 30 degrees to start to engage the brake. I like it that way.

I appreciate the input. I have been busy with house things but I can’t wait to tear into the hub.

Ok folks, took the hub apart and checked the spring and looks to be ok. Should the tab be straighter or does it have a slight angle? Reassembled and lubed the parts. Took a test ride and it seems to be working fine. Before the pedals were engaging 1/2 a turn and now less than 1/4 turn. Maybe the spring somehow jumped the slot? Seems to be fine now so my Westfield is back on riding duty.

Now to work bon Lady Shelby’s coaster strap that snapped off.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.👍

Last edited:
Back