When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure / Corbin Hourglass Hub Conspiracy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Just wanted to put a bug in your collective ear.
Nearly identical pair of hubs here, conical washers & races, hourglass form.

I’ve read the Corbin variation stamp often goes unnoticed but if you look closely the Corbin text runs horizontally across the middle of the shell.

I’m “gearing up” to do a front hub specific ID thread so we can get all the weird variations posted together of the 1,000+ different pre-33’ front hubs out there but these two have likely caused a lot of confusion.

d8045941d18301064f77ebc28085a98a.jpg
fa2057e0f259f11a75710f1ce2d65ec7.jpg
e7927d8cf52ad3924b821cea6e28b8a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I am not saying Colson made it unless some advertising history can say so. It seems 20's & 30's Colsons' ran them. So many metal parts jobbers back then could have supplied it to Colson. Note the sharp flange edges. I will post some exact measurements later which may help..skp
IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve heard of a Columbia specific hourglass type hub that adds to the confusion.
When did the little Oiler port clips show up on the New Departure type?
Or was that feature always available, and just a deluxe vs standard type of thing?

Last edited:
It looks like the oiling port was added in 1918 and phased out in 1930.
EBED073F-6C74-4252-81A0-F5C33172F014.jpeg
Good intel, for building a period correct wheel set.
Huge thanks to @Gary Mc for the astounding research project.
When they make the Cabe, Hall of Fame, you’ll definitely get my vote.

Last edited:
It looks like the oiling port was added in 1918 and phased out in 1930.View attachment 1073129Good intel, for building a period correct wheel set.
Huge thanks to @Gary Mc for the astounding research project.
When they make the Cabe, Hall of Fame, you’ll definitely get my vote.

Niiicee- this debunks one of my theories regarding the conical washers / races. In this hub we have concurrently: Model M stamp / hourglass shape / flat races / washers

mmmmm sexy information....

how much for the above hub ? any chance you have three ? oiler port desired but not a deal breaker ,thanks

Back