When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure "D" coaster brake help

-
How about a small brake cylinder hone?
Seems like I have seen one like a bottle brush

it is curved in 2 directions, and also the grooves for the brake discs go all the way through, and they would catch the stones, even if you had stones that were curved in 2 directions.

Someone else's pics from CABE ads (my bearing surfaces are fine) :

022c0577-17f9-401e-8e22-28755925c051-jpeg.jpg

And another. The piece at the left with the serrations is dragging on the serrations inside the hub.

2010-11-08135739-jpg.jpg

Maybe they all have serrations inside the hub, but if they do they aren't deep and the hub doesn't typically go RRTTRRRRTRRRRRRRRRR as one surface drags over the other on coast unless you get some exact spot between drive and brake.

Last edited:
Yea sounds like maybe the hub is internally damaged? I just got thru cleaning and lubing the model D in my 41Columbia and is running smooth as silk. I freaked when I had the hub apart and saw these ugly drag marks running along the center of the hub but turned out to be a thin layer of dried caked up grease that was easily scraped off.

Back