When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model A cog change

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PhilipJ

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_0135.JPG
IMG_0136.JPG
Hello Cabers,
I have a ND Model A hub I want to use on a project. Wondering if anyone can help me with changing the cog. It currently has a nine tooth on it and I want to switch it out with a ten tooth cog. Wondering what tools I would need for the job and how to switch them out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Phil

Yeah, that's probably going to be a beast to remove. This is primarily a mechanical bond, but penetrating fluid wouldn't hurt. From my days working on boats, ZEP 45 or PLS is the best you can find (if you can find it).

First you should have the right tools for the job. Second, these have most likely been together for close to 100 years.... So you might want to soak them with some PB blaster first. Third, the cap holding that has to come off before the cog, is threaded on backwards.... Righty Loosy.... This is the hardest part for most people. Not everything on a bike is righty thighty. Fourth, with the drive in a vise, use the grove in the hooked end of the tool to spin the cog off.
P1013366.JPG
P1013367.JPG
P1013368.JPG
P1013369.JPG
P1013370.JPG

Thanks to all for such great feedback. I didn't realize it t would take so much to change out the cog. I think I'll get another another drive and switch them.

Cheers,
Phil

Thanks to all for such great feedback. I didn't realize it t would take so much to change out the cog. I think I'll get another another drive and switch them.

Cheers,
Phil
Loosen the lock ring just a touch, put the hub a frame with a chain and crank on it, attach brake strap and tighten axle nuts, apply brake until the cog breaks free. You might need a pipe or another type of leverage bar on the crank.
Has not failed me yet.

Not hard at all. Did this^^^^^^ at the Rustjunkie Ranch a few months ago. Had it swapped in less than 15 min;)

Back