When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model A - Have a bunch of questions and I want them answered immediately

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
6EAFEF01-7D44-468F-8967-78EAACA9062F.png

D3E9749C-4A99-4D0B-8FBF-5418A7FB3982.jpeg
566D8C12-3BCC-471E-B148-BE2BB757B8B9.jpeg
744D7F0D-5A67-468A-99A9-BF2E6DF5A5F6.jpeg
E8DA2E86-3889-4432-B891-31A1FE8DAE64.jpeg
66E81307-512E-4D54-A8DB-1D4C8462C494.jpeg
4C3CF856-1E79-419E-9DB9-2BF55821B6DC.jpeg
After degreasing for days and it still not moving and then I soaked in thin pnuematic oil she began to move. Woked it with this old iron gently and slowly opened her up and snuck more thin oil in. She is good to go. All 3 plates are agile and and hub ready to build back up. I will assume the coaster brake clutch plates for the Model A should have very light grease or heavy oil on the coaster side instead of heavy grease.

Added a lot of piece of mind insurance policy. The bike is fast. Surprising speed even before hub rebuilds. And the front hub had hardened grease that had to go.
Oil or a very light grease. Model A's are not really a brake, just a speed attenuator. If you are riding in traffic, be prepared to drag your feet.

Last edited:
Oil or a very light grease. Model A's are not really a brake, just a speed attenuator. If you are riding in traffic, be prepared to drag your feet.
That is a perfect description of the Model A as a brake. You don't STOP, you slow with stately dignity. It's a speed retarder that will never lay a patch of rubber. O can you? Has anyone been able to lock up rim with an NOS Model A? Given the much smaller area of disc surface contact between a Model D and Model A it's not too surprising. It does work muscles in the calves that don't seem to be used for much else.:D

Gary

Mike,
Maybe he installed one of those hub re-liners that were for sale and quickly gone a few months ago. I would have tried one of those but I was snoozin and loosen. Or maybe I should try some ground walnut shell in the hub, the stuff you add to paint to make it non-skid on stairs...

Back