When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model A Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is fascinating. I am going to take another look at the assembly. Thanks again Archie

So, do I need the 'dished' washers for this?
(I realise I need a better sprocket!).....
WP_20180809_20_55_57_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180809_20_56_23_Pro (2).jpg

Please note that the large knurled-edge washers are for fitment to a 'National' frame.

From what I know I would say yes. What I find very interesting though is you have the thin nut holding the brake arm in place. That nut seems to be the subject of much discussion and some controversy

all the many A's I have had never had a lock nut (always thought that was goofy, but then I'm goofy).

From what I know I would say yes. What I find very interesting though is you have the thin nut holding the brake arm in place. That nut seems to be the subject of much discussion and some controversy
So do you think perhaps, the locknut on my example is a later owners modification to ameliorate the aforementioned 'exploding' hub situation? Or a factory update during the hubs production period?
Nice photo @gkeep, nice to see an unused, very original item.

Also, can anyone inform me as to whether sprockets are easily available?
Are there any differences to look out for to identify a model 'A"' sprocket?
These hubs are pretty uncommon over here, so any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I had to replace my shark toothed sprocket before I could ride the bike. The standard skip tooth sprockets that everyone has for sale here fit just fine. The bike came with a 9 tooth rear, I should have gone with a larger rear to lower the gearing, I'm getting old...

img_3847-jpg.jpg

I had to replace my shark toothed sprocket before I could ride the bike. The standard skip tooth sprockets that everyone has for sale here fit just fine. The bike came with a 9 tooth rear, I should have gone with a larger rear to lower the gearing, I'm getting old...

View attachment 853252
Thanks!

Back