When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure model D axles?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
Got the rear hub apart on my 41 Schwinn, and I think the axle might be bent. The threads are pretty screwed up so I can't get the last cup off to roll it. In any event, it's pretty hatched and I need a new one.

The threads look like 3/8-24 but aren't. There is a lot of conflicting information floating around about what the threads might be. Has anyone ever nailed it down?

Whatever it is, I need one. Lots of the ones on ebay are are advertised as also fitting Bendix, and I am pretty sure that can't be true. Many are Wald. Did the Wald ones really have the correct thread? Were they any good?

Was a chrome moly axle ever made for these hubs?

@bloo " Was a chrome moly axle ever made for these hubs? " < No, New Departure made axles and Wald made a replacement for them also. no chromo.

The Wald 294 was an exact replacement.

1597366898228.png

Well, now I'm confused. I bought an axle (not from markivpedalpusher, I had already done it when he responded). The new one has correct threads. It is 1/4 inch longer, and it has four areas of little raised ribs in the center. It looks like a good idea to help keep components centered on the shaft. The old shaft has wear in the center where probably the drive screw has been contacting it.

The interesting part is this, it runs out of adjustment for the gear side cone. With the disc support sleeve and the cone all the way in, it looks like it is adjusted perfectly but it is out of threads. It seems like with a little bearing wear it would just get loose and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Is this normal with the factory axle? Has anyone else run into it? Thoughts?

Did you ever get this resolved. I need to purchase a new axle as well as mine is bent and one side has stripped threads. I see these on ebay:

They don't have the marks in the center like you mention but others do:

Also, does the disc support sleeve unthread from the base side? If so I'm screwed as that is the side with the messed up threads.

Thanks

Did you ever get this resolved. I need to purchase a new axle as well as mine is bent and one side has stripped threads. I see these on ebay:

No, I didn't. The axle I took out may have been a Wald. It had no ribs. I don't know if that matters. Something in mine had been rubbing and wearing on the axle though. Maybe the axle was bent. Maybe that happens if the bearings are too loose, or maybe those ribs are really supposed to be there. At this point I have no idea. I overhauled gobs of these when I was young, and never thought about any of this. If you needed an axle, you went down to the Schwinn store and bought one, and it fit. There was never a need to give it much thought.

If you are going to buy a Wald axle, I suggest you take piercer_99's advice and look for Wald 294 specifically. I did not see that number in your link. I am convinced some sellers think think these interchange with "normal" 3/8-24 axles, and they don't.

I suspect that might be a real New Departure model D axle in your second link but I just don't know. The one I bought had those 2 sets of marks in the middle (they are raised areas), but it also had 2 more areas like that where the threads end, a total of four raised areas. That made the actual threaded area shorter, leaving no extra threads for adjustment. It really can't be right. I have another axle in the mail. If it is wrong too, I may have to lean on markivpedalpusher after all.

Also, does the disc support sleeve unthread from the base side? If so I'm screwed as that is the side with the messed up threads.

There are no threads in the middle of these, so the disc support sleeve has to come off the end it is closest to. If the threads are hosed, you can make a chasing tap by buying a 3/8-24 grade 8 nut and putting a slice in it perpendicular to the threads. I used a cutting wheel on a dremel tool to slice it. Then if you pry the slice open a little it will thread on the New Departure axle and you can chase the threads with it. That's how I got mine apart. The New Departure axle is 24 threads per inch, just a little bigger than 3/8 so it works.

If the axle is also stretched, you will have to cut it. I had that happen the other day on a Bendix 2 speed. Bendix is true 3/8-24, so the little chaser should have worked on it too. It didn't so I went to a real threading die and discovered that once you got past the bad spot, the die would be trying to cut a thread in the wrong spot, right on top of another thread. No way to fix that, the axle is stretched. I screwed the support on a little further, put a flat washer up against it for protection, and cut the axle off flush with a hacksaw. Then I could unscrew the support.

No, I didn't. The axle I took out may have been a Wald. It had no ribs. I don't know if that matters. Something in mine had been rubbing and wearing on the axle though. Maybe the axle was bent. Maybe that happens if the bearings are too loose, or maybe those ribs are really supposed to be there. At this point I have no idea. I overhauled gobs of these when I was young, and never thought about any of this. If you needed an axle, you went down to the Schwinn store and bought one, and it fit. There was never a need to give it much thought.

If you are going to buy a Wald axle, I suggest you take piercer_99's advice and look for Wald 294 specifically. I did not see that number in your link. I am convinced some sellers think think these interchange with "normal" 3/8-24 axles, and they don't.

I suspect that might be a real New Departure model D axle in your second link but I just don't know. The one I bought had those 2 sets of marks in the middle (they are raised areas), but it also had 2 more areas like that where the threads end, a total of four raised areas. That made the actual threaded area shorter, leaving no extra threads for adjustment. It really can't be right. I have another axle in the mail. If it is wrong too, I may have to lean on markivpedalpusher after all.

There are no threads in the middle of these, so the disc support sleeve has to come off the end it is closest to. If the threads are hosed, you can make a chasing tap by buying a 3/8-24 grade 8 nut and putting a slice in it perpendicular to the threads. I used a cutting wheel on a dremel tool to slice it. Then if you pry the slice open a little it will thread on the New Departure axle and you can chase the threads with it. That's how I got mine apart. The New Departure axle is 24 threads per inch, just a little bigger than 3/8 so it works.

If the axle is also stretched, you will have to cut it. I had that happen the other day on a Bendix 2 speed. Bendix is true 3/8-24, so the little chaser should have worked on it too. It didn't so I went to a real threading die and discovered that once you got past the bad spot, the die would be trying to cut a thread in the wrong spot, right on top of another thread. No way to fix that, the axle is stretched. I screwed the support on a little further, put a flat washer up against it for protection, and cut the axle off flush with a hacksaw. Then I could unscrew the support.

Cutting it off (the bad threads) and then screwing your your good piece off will work and is advised by me!

Cutting the axle was the trick to save the disc support sleeve. Now waiting on a new axle to show up. On the disc pack mine has the right number of discs but is only .71” thick. Adding one bronze and one steel brings it up to .75”, is that the correct way to go?

Also, what is the size of the skinny lock nuts? They seem to be 18mm but are whatever standard equivalent that is. Need to pick up a skinny wrench to tighten these down agains the cone nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back