When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure model D axles?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Ok here's the axles....

1) My bent "original" axle (Wald?)
2) Ebay #1
3) Ebay #2 (I think this one will work)

xy5LvgQ.jpg

The second one, as you can see, has four raised areas instead of two. It sort of worked, but the disc support was bottomed out and so was the cone, so there was absolutely no adjustment for wear. It can't really be right. I wonder if it could be for some other New Departure hub, like a handbrake or something.

Maybe it is just a different year model D. In old threads around here people have noted differences in the disc supports and hub width. The bike is a 1941 Schwinn, but I am pretty sure the hub is wrong. I have brought that up in a couple other threads, but so far no one has clarified what a real 1941 model D should look like.

I would put the extra discs in. I don't know how critical 0.75" is, but I do know that if you don't have enough thickness, you have to pedal a long way back to get any brakes.

My locknuts are 11/16". You only need the thin wrench for the cone though, not the locknuts. Everything else is either on the outside or has flats.

Last edited:
First off, a huge thanks to Mark for getting me the parts I needed.

Second, the ND axle worked great:

d82d755e6dc530346bdde5325ba579cf.jpg

The hub went together great and is spinning/braking perfectly. My issue now is my rim seems to be shifted to the left but everything seems to be in the right place.

Right:
65014b603c9422518019386a1838f063.jpg

Left:
d8d1a3a366e3d66c8def961750deea9c.jpg

View from back:
9b7c82c0b7872cb1b78d594e8a188830.jpg

What am I missing here? I even threw on another similar rim and it was the same. The frame itself seems fine.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Make a dishing stick and see....

Also flip the rim around backwards. If it's the rim's fault, it should be offset to the other side.

I would also be curious to know where the chainline is on that hub. My (unknown origins) model D is 38.5mm.

Flipping the rim made it move to the right so definitely the rim. I followed the ND factory instructions on both model D rebuilds and they are operating normally so I don't think its how the hub was put together. How do you measure the 'chainline'?

You measure the distance between the outside of the locknuts, divide by 2.

Then you measure the thickness of the sprocket, divide by 2.

Then measure from the outside of the locknut to the outside of the sprocket on the sprocket side (no dividing on this one).

Start with half the total width measured in step 1. Subtract step 2 (half the sprocket width). Then subtract the measurement from step 3.

Don't bother if it's a pain to do. I was just curious if your model D is the same as mine.

My model D is 38.5mm. The Bendix Triple Red 2 speed hub on my 61 speedster is 40.5mm.

A similar measurement can be made at the seat tube and chainwheel, and if it matches your hub, your chain runs prefectly straight. It is good to be at least sort of close.

A couple of my Schwinn frames look to be built to 38.5mm (with the stock bottom bracket parts and dished chainwheels).

Reactions: JLF
Flipping the rim made it move to the right so definitely the rim. I followed the ND factory instructions on both model D rebuilds and they are operating normally so I don't think its how the hub was put together.

I agree. I don't think it is possible to alter this by how you assemble the hub, unless you didn't have the last disc all the way in, but then you would feel it because one side wouldn't be running on the bearing. Mine was way off, almost 1/2". On closer inspection, the lacing pattern was all screwed up. It had all the spoke heads facing out on one side, and it was laced cross 3 on one side and cross 4 on the other. I just relaced it....

I agree. I don't think it is possible to alter this by how you assemble the hub, unless you didn't have the last disc all the way in, but then you would feel it because one side wouldn't be running on the bearing. Mine was way off, almost 1/2". On closer inspection, the lacing pattern was all screwed up. It had all the spoke heads facing out on one side, and it was laced cross 3 on one side and cross 4 on the other. I just relaced it....

It was the dish! The lacing was fine but when I looked closer I saw that the rim was pulled over to the left (me being overzealous with truing a beat up triple drop rim). I went thru and re-trued it make sure to start on the drive side and its where it should be now. Thanks for nudge in the right direction.

Back