When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model D Dating

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Probably most of you have noticed the both the brake arm and perhaps the cog securing nut are different is the span of New Departure Model D production and since there is a lack of date coding, I thought it would be a good idea to document some of these details and enlist your assistance in placing their context.
This could help folks date their bicycles +/- a year if there is a logical progression to it.

I am not sure of the exact year the Model D first appeared (following the Model C), but I do not believe it was before the balloon period of 1933 or it was about that time.

There are 4 different styles of brake arms and I list them in order of appearance...

-Little arm "New Departure=Model D"
little arm model d.jpg

-Little arm "New Departure=Brake"
litle arm brake.jpg

-Big arm (1940-41) "New Departure = Brake" I also believe during this transition, some were cad/zonc plated versus the earlier chrome)
big arm brake.jpg

-Big arm (postwar only, all cad/zinc plated) "NEW DEPARTURE"
big arm new departure.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting all these side by side for comparison. Will definately help get the right arm on the right bike. Noticed the first one posted has the Alemite fitting.

The cog nuts had more variety and I don't have a clear break point on these, but the earliest were smooth.
-First generation (I think) was a 3-indent
smooth cog3.jpg

-Second generation had a 2-indent
smooth cog2.jpg

-I do not believe there was a 1-indent smooth cog nut

The second cog nut iteration was the textured style (I think).
It had either a 1-indent or 2-indent and possibly coexisted together, but not sure why.

- 1-indent (forgot to snap a pic, but it exists).

- 2-indent
textured2.jpg

The third iteration was also textured, but had a valley.
These were late prewar and had a 1-indent or a 2-indent.
At least in my stash, the 1-indent had "New Departure" stamped in the nut consistently.

- 1-indent
double knurl1.jpg

- 2-indent
double knurl2.jpg

The 4th cog nut style was the one that Scott posted which has 3-indents, is stamped "New Departure," smooth and a layered appearance.
I believe this is postwar, but I am not sure since I don't have many postwar bikes to reference.
new departure cog.jpg

Besides the typical oil port with hinged cover, I have noted a new departure Model D without any oil port at all and they also did not have writing, so my thought are that they are the very earliest.
Also, for Elgins from roughly 1936-1938 an alemite port was used in place of the typical port and I am not aware of any other manufacturer advertising or using this alemite specialized fitting on their hubs.
DSCF5693.jpg

So that's what I have to post.
If you have an original bike with its original New Departure Model D wheels and certain of its year, please feel free to add what brake arm is present and what cog nut is used.
Thanks, Chris

A little more info:
The little brake arm hubs use a different disc support sleeve.
The knurled & grooved sprocket set nut was used pre- and well into post-war: part of the Delta stoplight switch rides in the groove.
DD sprocket set nut is different than D: the center hole is ~2mm smaller.

Last edited:
Back