When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model D oddity

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ricobike

Wore out three sets of tires already!
See anything odd about this New Departure Model D?

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0969.jpg

Looks like some one changed out the driver.

Yep. I noticed it was a 19 tooth sprocket and thought, wow, never knew that ND made a 19 tooth sprocket. When I looked closer it was like, uh, it's a 3 lobe sprocket, what the heck is this? I went through my hubs that I have here and the driver looks similar on the outside to an F&S driver. Is it possible that an F&S driver setup somehow is compatible with ND?

Mattatuck driver. I believe New Departure bought them out at some point. You might have to change to a Mattatuck clutch also to make this conversion but I'm not positive about that.

Ah yes, forgot about Mattatuck. And maybe NK? Well I can at least keep this hanging around in case I ever need an odd sized sprocket on an ND. Thanks for solving the mystery :).

Edit: I did have an extra ND clutch laying around so I tested it and it fit and seemed to operate correctly. But I guess you don't know until you put it together and try to ride on it.

Last edited:
Back