When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model D overhaul

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When I do mine I take a paint brush and put a dap of oil (10w 30) between the discs as I go. I've found that they stick together and if you align the tabs as you stack they act like a single unit that you can drop in the shell. Also dab some oil in the grooves of the shell with the brush. Doesn't really take that much oil... too much and it will run out of the hub

use the directions, I haven't had an issue with them as long as I did it this way.

use the directions, I haven't had an issue with them as long as I did it this way.View attachment 1488461View attachment 1488462
as a side note of importance, on lubricate all other parts with #3 cup grease.
#3 cup grease is not manufactured any longer, recommended as a suitable replacement is a synthetic grease, I use a 2 NLGI grade synthetic on my model D's.

I also use a synthetic hypoid on the discs (mobil 1 hypoid 85w)

Did you use 600 grit sandpaper to polish both sides of the discs? This removes any burrs and helps improve operation. Like the others said oil on the discs and grease on the bearings. I use 30W motor oil, a few drops will do. I also use an old credit card to align the disc tabs once they are mounted on the support sleeve so they can be inserted into the shell.

Did you use 600 grit sandpaper to polish both sides of the discs? This removes any burrs and helps improve operation. Like the others said oil on the discs and grease on the bearings. I use 30W motor oil, a few drops will do. I also use an old credit card to align the disc tabs once they are mounted on the support sleeve so they can be inserted into the shell.
I used a wire wheel on my bench grinder. I'm not sure of the assembly of the clutch and spring now. Lol

Bringing this thread back to life. I have done a few hub services, but I am by no means an expert. Serviced my model D and all went well. When I rode the bike the brakes worked awesome, but it does not engage the drive until a half or 3/4 of a turn. I remember putting the transfer spring back on, but after I researched I do not remember the spring looking like a brand new one. It didn't really have the upturned end. Is this indicative of the need for a new spring? Brakes work great, but free wheels in forward for a bit. Thanks!

Back