When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model D question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

schwinnman67

Finally riding a big boys bike
Getting ready to re-assemble the hub on my Hiawatha and have a question (or 2) about it. I have rebuilt these hubs in the past, but have heard that I might not be doing it correctly. Should the discs be installed dry, with a light grease coating or dipped in oil? I have greased the discs and never oiled the hub through the oil port. After it is assembled (I do grease the bearings) should it be oiled and what oil should I use?

I've tried several greases, oils and combinations of the two. Always ended up noisy, messy or ghost-peddled. Recently I tried a new grease we got at the shop when I re-serviced the screeching hub on the crusty Colson. Great stopping power and not a peep. I'll never use another grease or oil again.
20181220_155542_HDR.jpg

I get everything nice and clean and I use Park bicycle grease. I wear rubber gloves and get just a little grease on my index finger and thumb and wipe a super thin coating on each disc.
I thoroughly grease the bearings and races, and a thin coat of grease on everything else including the inside of the hub shell.
I like to use a small paintbrush to apply the grease, with the exception of the discs.
They ride and stop great doing it this way.
9 times out of 10 the transfer spring needs to be replaced so is a good idea to have some on hand.

I put em together with wheel bearing grease, then a lil gear oil before each ride.

I follow the original instructions from New Departure on the Model D.

I lubricate the wheel bearings with wheel bearing grease.

I use hypoid oil on the discs (gear oil).

I use #3 cup grease on all the other parts, with that step in mind, as you can no longer obtain 3# cup grease, synthetic grease like
JET-LUBE 26050 Open Gear Lubricant, or Bell Ray Waterproof grease is a similar product. You can use regular wheel bearing grease, but the synthetic is water proof and water resistant and forms a barrier between the hypoid oil and the wheel bearing grease, protecting against break down of the wheel bearing grease from the oil and water. Then you can supplement light weight machine oil in the oiler port for routine maintenance as originally designed.

Just the way I do it, but I try to follow directions.
Model D assembly.jpg

Back