When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New departure model D...quirky ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Imsohawthorney

Look Ma, No Hands!
re new departure D... have overhauled several of these, this time im having problem... after overhauling this one , the slow and careful test ride reveals a problem... when i pedal , aprox every 20 or 30 pushes on the pedal , and the hub slips 180 degrees ! i went back , disassembled it again and re assembled it again , and again , same thing happens ...while cranking , all of a sudden the crank advances 1/2 revolution . Now we have the proper amount of brake discs, 3/4 of an inch. And I understand how serious it is that they all get in the proper placement. But do you have any idea what is going on thank you so much.

Haha right?! So befuddling sometimes. I wanted to try it again so I rode to the corner store just now without any problem. Then when I got nearly home it did it three times in a short period

It takes a little patience with these hubs, but once you do several of them they become your favorite. We’ll at least mine anyway!

5A272376-EA83-4886-BBD6-ADCF7F5FE2AD.jpeg

I remember my first 26 inch bike back in 1958 or so, a Hawthorne tank bike. It had the same problem and I'm surprised I was ever able to have children.

Sounds like the tab on the transfer spring is worn. Try replacing the spring.

I remember my first 26 inch bike back in 1958 or so, a Hawthorne tank bike. It had the same problem and I'm surprised I was ever able to have children.

Sounds like the tab on the transfer spring is worn. Try replacing the spring.
It seemed okay but I will give it a second look thank you

They can look fine and still be bad. I have replaced several that looked good and after each new spring, they rode fine.

Ive found that if there’s too much recoil, add a disc or two. Typically when the head of the transfer spring breaks off, the hub will freewheel.

Yes yes yes. Well I'll be damned and you can see what the problem was. I had forgotten how critical it was for these Springs

to be in decent shape. Also I think the fact that the Hub was set slightly on the loose side helped accentuate the problem yes? Anyway I put it in the new transfer spring, fortunately I have a few of those, the test ride was great and I think we're done here. And thank you guys also.
. And it's so true the more you play with these things the more acceptable they become.

Back