When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model D - steel on steel discs?

-

bloo

I live for the CABE
I just tore down a New Departure model D. There are no bronze discs inside. The keyed and unkeyed discs are all steel. When was this done and why? Was it a Korean War thing?

Would you expect to see this in a hub from 1953?

I’ve got one just like that. I think I asked the same question, here, and never really got a good answer. I figured it was just cheaper to use steel discs.
I believe my hub is 1950s, also.
Ted

I just tore down a New Departure model D. There are no bronze discs inside. The keyed and unkeyed discs are all steel. When was this done and why? Was it a Korean War thing?

Would you expect to see this in a hub from 1953?

I’ve got one just like that. I think I asked the same question, here, and never really got a good answer. I figured it was just cheaper to use steel discs.
I believe my hub is 1950s, also.
Ted
I think maybe the brass give better braking they are softer and the steel last longer so it was a maintenance vs. performance I guess. I too was wondering that. I also have some that are brass but much thicker.

I recently re-built this wartime D and it was all steel discs as well... Doesn't seem like it saw too much use and abuse but could have been rebuilt at some point. I was thinking I should order replacement discs but I buffed both sides of each disc with 800 grit and it stops just fine

IMG_1812.jpg

Back