When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Model D - steel on steel discs?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
I just tore down a New Departure model D. There are no bronze discs inside. The keyed and unkeyed discs are all steel. When was this done and why? Was it a Korean War thing?

Would you expect to see this in a hub from 1953?

I’ve got one just like that. I think I asked the same question, here, and never really got a good answer. I figured it was just cheaper to use steel discs.
I believe my hub is 1950s, also.
Ted

I just tore down a New Departure model D. There are no bronze discs inside. The keyed and unkeyed discs are all steel. When was this done and why? Was it a Korean War thing?

Would you expect to see this in a hub from 1953?

I’ve got one just like that. I think I asked the same question, here, and never really got a good answer. I figured it was just cheaper to use steel discs.
I believe my hub is 1950s, also.
Ted
I think maybe the brass give better braking they are softer and the steel last longer so it was a maintenance vs. performance I guess. I too was wondering that. I also have some that are brass but much thicker.

I recently re-built this wartime D and it was all steel discs as well... Doesn't seem like it saw too much use and abuse but could have been rebuilt at some point. I was thinking I should order replacement discs but I buffed both sides of each disc with 800 grit and it stops just fine

IMG_1812.jpg

Back