When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure model DD two speed hub

-
the DD hub is very simple only one part moves the sun gear with 3 planitery gears and one ring gear it goes together fairly easy you need help my door is open I rebuilt 3 in the last 2 months

tony d.

Now I want to peice the guts together!!!

It's not hard to do. You just need to take your time. The hard part is lining up the discs for the brake. There is a special New Departure tool to do it, but you can do it without the tool.

Hi Scott, Thanks for posting the parts break down. Since posting my inquiry back in 2007 (has it really been that long?) I rebuilt three of these hubs and have some very good pictures of the rebuild process if any one is interested. I have a 39 Hawthorne Comet with the DD hub and a couple of spares I've pieced together from very scarce parts. The main wear items include the rod that slides the gear and the inner hub gear teeth and the three gears. I've become rather a rebuild "expert" on these hubs now. They are really nice on the old heavy ballooners and the stick shifter looks pretty cool too. Finding parts is a real challenge.

Hi Videoranger, I'm interested in the pictures you have regarding how to rebuild a New Departure model DD hub
Do you still have them? Can I have them?
thanks, Marius

Does anyone have an extra actuator
I have a dd and all I need is that piece so I can throw it on my bike the one it came with was cracked and I didn't see it when I found it had it all laced up ride about a mile
And Bamb broke off :(!!! so please anyone I can pay cash or trade whatever you prefer !!!

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn

trying to adjust my DD

Hey Videoranger I have a 1939 Hawthorne Comet and I've been gathering up parts to put a DD in it. I've been dreading taking one apart to rebuild it though. Do you have a picture of your Comet?
Johnny

for some reason the low gear seems to slip when heavy pedaling is involved, i cant figure out why. everything seems to be in good condition. any trouble shooting advice would be appreciated. thank you

for some reason the low gear seems to slip when heavy pedaling is involved, i cant figure out why. everything seems to be in good condition. any trouble shooting advice would be appreciated. thank you

Most likely the pin inside the axl is not fully released.

Back