When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure model DD two speed hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

videoranger

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Any have an exploded diagram of a New Departure model DD two speed or know of someone that services these hubs?

I don't know if this would help you cause or not. New Departure was a division of General Motors. That's right, the car maker.

NEWDEPARTURESALESANDSERVICEMANUAL006.jpg
Just ran across this post and saw that it had a broken image in it, so here is a parts break down for New Departure DD 2 speed hub.

Hi Scott, Thanks for posting the parts break down. Since posting my inquiry back in 2007 (has it really been that long?) I rebuilt three of these hubs and have some very good pictures of the rebuild process if any one is interested. I have a 39 Hawthorne Comet with the DD hub and a couple of spares I've pieced together from very scarce parts. The main wear items include the rod that slides the gear and the inner hub gear teeth and the three gears. I've become rather a rebuild "expert" on these hubs now. They are really nice on the old heavy ballooners and the stick shifter looks pretty cool too. Finding parts is a real challenge.

Hey Videoranger I have a 1939 Hawthorne Comet and I've been gathering up parts to put a DD in it. I've been dreading taking one apart to rebuild it though. Do you have a picture of your Comet?
Johnny

Hi Johnny, I will try to get some pictures up this week end. I bought mine many years back mine from a gentleman that received the bike from Santa. I even have a picture of the bike and the boys in front of the Christmas tree. Mine is in excellent all original condition and is one of my favorites and a great bike to ride. The hubs are really very easy to work on, just hard to find spare parts that are still good to use. Jim

Here's a picture of the '39 Comet. I really like the way this bike rides.

Attachments

• Picture 111.jpg
    Picture 111.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 341
New Departure DD 2 speed Diagram

I am new to the forum and am rebuilding my fathers 2 speed New Departure Model DD Hub. I see the parts diagram but an exploded or cutaway view will help me understand final assembly and proper frame mounting.
Thanks,
Will

Hi Scott, Thanks for posting the parts break down. Since posting my inquiry back in 2007 (has it really been that long?) I rebuilt three of these hubs and have some very good pictures of the rebuild process if any one is interested. I have a 39 Hawthorne Comet with the DD hub and a couple of spares I've pieced together from very scarce parts. The main wear items include the rod that slides the gear and the inner hub gear teeth and the three gears. I've become rather a rebuild "expert" on these hubs now. They are really nice on the old heavy ballooners and the stick shifter looks pretty cool too. Finding parts is a real challenge.

I've never worked on one of these, so I will take you up on your offer. Can you send me the rebuild pictures to [email protected]

Back