When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure Nuts from FSH

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@49autocycledeluxe The Unified Thread Standard did not get adopted until after 1949. It is more complicated than just specifying threads per inch. Actually I bet @FSH is intimate with this and could answer more accurately how New Departure's thread spec is not standard if he cared to divulge it :cool:.

"Problems with lack of interchangeability among American, Canadian, and British parts during World War II led to an effort to unify the inch-based standards among these closely allied nations, and the Unified Thread Standard was adopted by the Screw Thread Standardization Committees of Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States on November 18, 1949 in Washington, D.C., with the hope that they would be adopted universally."

History of Standardization

@Miq ... but they kept the screwy threads long after 1949
There was a strength issue caused by the 2&3 speed hubs. The extra meat helped increased the overall strength. Though, I don't understand why the front axles are larger than standard except to say that New Departure effectively created a monopoly on any hardware used in their hubs.

Got some to have on hand. Ended up using right away. Just wish I had ordered more. Very nice. Although I think I didn’t pay what they were worth and may have stiffed @FSH some of the postage. :grin::rolleyes: Keep meaning to order more.

Reactions: Miq
Got some to have on hand. Ended up using right away. Just wish I had ordered more. Very nice. Although I think I didn’t pay what they were worth and may have stiffed @FSH some of the postage. :grin::rolleyes: Keep meaning to order more.
Thanks John. Don't worry about the postage. Some of the most valuable lessons hurt a little.

Thanks John. Don't worry about the postage. Some of the most valuable lessons hurt a little.
I’ll make it up to you. Do you have a couple more pairs? Funny- I took a couple old nuts to the post office to get the postage rate. Wasn’t even close. More mass means better quality:smile:

I’ll make it up to you. Do you have a couple more pairs? Funny- I took a couple old nuts to the post office to get the postage rate. Wasn’t even close. More mass means better quality:smile:
Sure, I make them so they are just a few cuts away. I have sold about 40 sets so far. I also have jam nuts and front 5/16 nuts if you are interested...$5.00 per set, $2.00 shipping, .25 cents per additional pair. Thanks!

Back