When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure oddities

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I’ve got a 36-hole CC laced into a steel clad 28” rim. The wheel came off a nice original 1930 Schwinn Liberty.

What's different about a CC compared to a C?

I gather it's not a 2-speed like a DD...
I pondered this myself a couple of years back. While I never could discover what legitimately accounted for the 36-hole "CC" designation, the timeframe (1929/1930) loosely corresponded with a wide-spread departure from nickel plating to that of chromium (chrome). My theory (however weak it may be) was that "CC" was a short-lived designation for New Departure's chrome-plated coaster hub prior to the introduction of the Model D. Again, just a theory without a lot to back it up.

I pondered this myself a couple of years back. While I never could discover what legitimately accounted for the 36-hole "CC" designation, the timeframe (1929/1930) loosely corresponded with a wide-spread departure from nickel plating to that of chromium (chrome). My theory (however weak it may be) was that "CC" was a short-lived designation for New Departure's chrome-plated coaster hub prior to the introduction of the Model D. Again, just a theory without a lot to back it up.
Think it means "Catfish Coaster"

Back