When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure rear hub discs

-
Those burrs may cause brake "snap" when you stop pedaling. No expert but my guess is it causes the ears to bind when they slide in the keyway of the hub. There are some great threads about this topic with comments by much more qualified people than me.;)

A related question.... I'm overhauling my second ND Model D hub. Unlike the first one, on this one, some of the flanges on each copper disc have taken some serious force that has slightly damaged the ends of some of the flanges. See pic. The result are little spurs that stick up slightly, perpendicular to the plane of the disc. I'm thinking of taking the time to gently sand these down so that the disc is again smooth. I did not test the function of the hub before disassembly, so don't know if this damage had any effect on the function of the brake. Anyone have any experience to share?

View attachment 1099176

I would replace the discs, they are available.

Also Scott sells them, @sm2501

It is worth it. The flanges are the key to solid braking, they will start to wear with the chink like that, the it shears off and scores the hub.

I have had that happen to a hub and the results are not pretty.

Although, depending on how much you ride, and how hard, sanding the discs down will work for a while.

I would replace the discs, they are available.

Also Scott sells them, @sm2501

It is worth it. The flanges are the key to solid braking, they will start to wear with the chink like that, the it shears off and scores the hub.
Piercer, sounds like a solid idea. I wasn't looking forward to the tedium of sanding down 30+ burrs of soft copper without wearing too much into the surrounding disc. I've reached out to Scott. Thanks

Last edited:
I ordered this set from eBay recently. I contacted @rustjunkie a few days ago and he does not have any replacement sets in stock at the moment but thought the NK set on eBay was worthy and priced correctly under $20
1574377998772.png

I ordered this set from eBay recently. I contacted @rustjunkie a few days ago and he does not have any replacement sets in stock at the moment but thought the NK set on eBay was worthy and priced correctly under $20
Miq, thanks for the suggestion. I just saw them on ebay, but notice that this is a 17 disc set, 8 flanged and 9 regular. My hub has a 23-disc set. Did you use your NK set to replace an ND 23-disc set? If so, I'm guessing that these discs must be thicker, but that the total stack height is the same.

I think you'll be okay as long as the stack is .750" tall and you have a steel disk on each end. I've rebuilt a couple of these and I lay a piece of 400 grit wet/dry paper on the work bench with a little water on it which has a dab of Dawn detergent on it. Slide each side of each disk around in a circular motion. Just enough to smooth the up. Doesn't take all that long. Rinse. Reassemble putting grease on each side of each disk.

Back