When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Departure: Which came first?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JOEL

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Which of these early model D brake arms came first?

DSCN2206.jpg

In the research I have found the "Model D" came first. This is the oldest add I could find in Boys Life Mag. it's from Dec 33, so I'm thinking the "D" came out sometime around then. For further reference I have had a nickel plated Model "D" that I assume was a early one. Hope this helps?
nd33dec-1.jpg

SH104529-1.jpg

How many?

You have to wonder; how many of these things were made? I personally have 9 or ten of them on bikes and extras in my garage alone. Someone must have gotten rich somewhere along the line.

It seems logical that the one labeled Model D would have been first since it followed the 'Model C' labeled brake arm.

The early ND brake arms (1920's A Models) just had New Departure on the brake arm. This would lead me to believe the Model D imprinted version came later. So maybe the 1st couple years (33-34) used brake arms left from large production runs and they started using the D specific arms once the back stock ran out???

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes/new-departure.html

1938 Island Cycle page showing the model on the brake arm.

Did anyone ever set a timeline on various brake arms? I searched but could not find one - thanks

Back