When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"New England" wood wheel motobike.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lobsterboyx

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Picked this up a few weeks ago. found very small ad on cl, collector owned,

0a37dfe6-1.jpg

128be7d9-1.jpg

b95092b8-1.jpg

"knives edge" cranks

ebd938e3-1.jpg

ive never seen a seat this nice before.

7cd15a4b-1.jpg

abe950e4-1.jpg

I have limited knowlage of early bikes, i thought moto-bikes had standard balloon tires.

this bike had wooden wheels and brick color button tread semi-pnumatics - the rear was laced up to a ND model A, in my haste, a friend and i split the bike up. i got this, he got the wheels, we were both happy. i came home and went to install a wheelset i had and realized that this may be a bit older than i thought.

"New England" JW Grady & co.
Worchester Mass

havent checked the numbers yet, but any guesses?

im looking for a good, ridable Model A hub - the bolt on drop stand and of course a nice set of lobdell hoops...

its not so much a shame - i was able to get this old rare bike for a great deal, wheel choices have to come next.

What does it say above New England on the headbadge? J.W. ?
great find. Try getting the original wheels back from your friend....somehow

bricycle- it does say "J.W." above.

they were 28s - here is what it looked like when we got it...

0ea36be4-1.jpg

735760b9-1.jpg

my theory about bicycles, no matter how collectable, they have to be ridden, thats what sparked my love for this hobby in the first place!

the wheels had rather alarming cracks in them, they looked great, but i know that i couldent ride the bike safely with the wheels on it. he needed the wheels for a project that is most likely more historically signifigant than my bike.

if i do wind up finding wooden wheels, i would put them on for display, but i have a few ideas about building a ridable set that would be on it when i didnt want to show it.

any ideas on the year/maker? anyone ever seen anything like this?

my theory about bicycles, no matter how collectable, they have to be ridden

I agree. I would rather ride a bike and be a part of it's history than just look at it and think about it's history.

did you buy the bike? or did both you and your friend buy the bike? in any event,the bike looks 1918-1920 circa.its worth more complete all original with original wood wheels.it almost looks like it was built by excelsior cycle michigan city, indiana.the last one that sold on ebay went close to $900.that bike you have is rare museum quality.that frame is rare,it looks like the same frame that davis sewing mach.co. made for harley davidson to accomondate a tank.

but it could of been built by westfield who built indian and columbia bikes.if you could post a pic of the top of the fork crown please.

Back