New find. 1940 Schwinn Canti Autocycle

These ads go away when you register for an account!

cyclingday

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
Yeah, super interesting tank.
No switch or horn button hole?
Switch tanks were usually reserved for the full deluxe trim, but I’ve always thought that the Fenderlight was a mind blower when it came out, so you would want that feature for sure.
But the Crossbar Speedometer and Full Floating Saddle, were still the shi+, so you would also want those also.
No light switch is necessary on the tank, because it was all self contained in the front fender.
The horn button is on the crossbar housing, so you don’t need the button on the tank either.
This bike is exactly the way I would’ve ordered it in 1940!
Unfricken Believable!

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
I’m thinking, that the remnant in the side of the tank was probably a toggle or pushbutton type switch for the tail light that was up by the rack.
Maybe this type of tail light?
6EC54658-CDE4-4F1F-83FD-E19F60B4A49A.jpeg

3F222D10-BE67-49C4-BB14-2C0E8F4C84E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: markivpedalpusher

Hammerhead

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Oct 5, 2018
Franklin,NH
Incredible find, congratulations on finding a gem like that. Nice color combination.
Hammerhead

John G04

I live for the CABE
Oct 17, 2016
Bethlehem, PA, United States
Incredible find!! Love the color combo and looks like it will clean it up great!

SJ_BIKER

Mar 4, 2010
Hollister CA
Never seen one of these with a fenderlight and speedo together....use to seeing them with a fender bomb and dual lights. Pm sent...i have some parts for this if needed.

Reactions: Jay81 and tripple3

bobcycles

Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
Yeah, super interesting tank.
No switch or horn button hole?
Switch tanks were usually reserved for the full deluxe trim, but I’ve always thought that the Fenderlight was a mind blower when it came out, so you would want that feature for sure.
But the Crossbar Speedometer and Full Floating Saddle, were still the shi+, so you would also want those also.
No light switch is necessary on the tank, because it was all self contained in the front fender.
The horn button is on the crossbar housing, so you don’t need the button on the tank either.
This bike is exactly the way I would’ve ordered it in 1940!
Unfricken Believable!
Read his description more closely... says the switch hole is there but no evidence screws were ever fastened down.
(why would they? bike has a fender light) cool and confused 40' Schwinn

Jay81

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Apr 26, 2015
Roseville MI
Congrats on an amazing find! Hard to believe stuff like this is still out there waiting to be discovered!

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
Read his description more closely... says the switch hole is there but no evidence screws were ever fastened down.
(why would they? bike has a fender light) cool and confused 40' Schwinn
Original post was edited after the discussion was made about the bike.
It wasn’t clear from the photo, if the switch hole was there.
None of that information was in the original description.
Now everything seems out of context.
Kind of an Adam Schiff move. Lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: markivpedalpusher

Miq

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jan 12, 2019
Arizona
Great score! The condition is unbelieveable for Pennsylvania. That bike has definitely been taken care of. I'm excited to see how it cleans up.

Kaufmann's was founded in 1871 and was the premier department store in downtown Pittsburgh. I can remember visiting the downtown location many times as a kid, but more often we went to Kaufmann's at our local mall. Fancy smancy and crowded is really what I remember from downtown. I can see them having their own badges and ordering very well equipped bikes. Only the best...

"Story goes he was riding down a hill that was cinder covered, crashed, hurt his leg and never road it again."
They used to take the cinders from the steel mills on the river and throw them on the roads when it snowed or use them to cover unpaved roads. Best part was all the sharp pig iron pieces that were mixed in and would flat your car tire on a snowy winter day.

@Howard Gordon has probably seen a few Kaufmann's bikes in the 'burgh.

Last edited:

ronbug

Finally riding a big boys bike
Sep 13, 2012
Gurnee, United States
I’m thinking, that the remnant in the side of the tank was probably a toggle or pushbutton type switch for the tail light that was up by the rack.
Maybe this type o tail light?View attachment 1079009
View attachment 1079010
Yes that would make sense.
Great score! The condition is unbelieveable for Pennsylvania. That bike has definitely been taken care of. I'm excited to see how it cleans up.

Kaufmann's was founded in 1871 and was the premier department store in downtown Pittsburgh. I can remember visiting the downtown location many times as a kid, but more often we went to Kaufmann's at our local mall. Fancy smancy and crowded is really what I remember from downtown. I can see them having their own badges and ordering very well equipped bikes. Only the best...

"Story goes he was riding down a hill that was cinder covered, crashed, hurt his leg and never road it again."
They used to take the cinders from the steel mills on the river and throw them on the roads when it snowed or use them to cover unpaved roads. Best part was all the sharp pig iron pieces that were mixed in and would flat your car tire on a snowy winter day.

@Howard Gordon has probably seen a few Kaufmann's bikes in the 'burgh.
Great time to be a kid. No cell phones no computers just go out and make your own fun.

Bill in Bama

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jul 19, 2019
NW Alabama
Sweet find! Every time i go to look,,, im hoping for what you found! And i look alot! People always say “ ive got this old bike” but it’s never like that one! Never!

kenny_hungus

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 9, 2015
JUST SOMETHING....THE RACK TOP NOT BEING CHROME IS THE ONLY THING...THE WAR BREAKING OUT SCHWINN STARTED CHANGING THINGS THIS YEAR!!!!….THE BEST SUPER DELUXE AUTO CYCLE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Last edited:
Reactions: ronbug
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture