When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New find. 1940 Schwinn Canti Autocycle

-

biker

I live for the CABE
Finally out in the sun after 70+ years hanging in the garage.
A 1940 Schwinn Canti Autocycle 100% all original. Nameplate says

Kaufmann's
5th Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pa
Cavalier

Original owners bike he received brand new on his 13th birthday in Pittsburgh from his parents. Story goes he was riding down a hill that was cinder covered, crashed, hurt his leg and never road it again.
He passed away two years ago at age of 90.
He always wanted to restore it but never got around to it.
It has a layer of sawdust on it as it was hanging in his wood shop corner.
Schwinn speedo has 501 miles on it. Need cable and axle connector. I am guessing the light on the bottom of the speedo gets connected to the fender light?
EA pushbutton works nicely.
Never seen this color combo on this year Autocycle. Maybe it was a special order for Kaufmann's. The tank is purposely darker than the frame almost maroon so like a tri color bike. Red, black and maroon.
It's in good hands now never to be parted out.
Few missing parts to make it complete. Don't get to exited, the left side tank half is missing. Crap. Contact me if you have one or if you can make a plaster mold of yours I would gladly pay you for materials and shipping. I could then use to fab steel one from.
Key is missing in locking fork.
Fender light cover is missing. Probably should be black.
Slide switch on top of the right tank half is missing but cutouts to mount it are there. Looks as if it was never installed as I don't see any marks on the paint for the two screws.
Paint is unbelievably good if not great original condition and will shine when waxed up.
Will have to get the fenders undented.
The old tires are melted and hard as a rock. Never seen that before.
The tiny patent decals are on the frame above the crank and lower part of the fork still.
There are two high rear fender holes, almost below the rear rack cats eye reflector, wondering what kind of reflector goes in there? See last picture.
Also, what kind of whitewall tires should I put on it? And also what kind of grips?
Photos taken at the original owners house.
If anyone has a Kaufmann's catalog showing this bike please post it.
He has two copper plates wrapped on the frame below the chain guard with tapped holes and wiring, wonder what he had there.

thumbasdsadnail.jpg

thusdasdasdmbnail.jpg

thumsdfsdfbnail.jpg

thumsdasdasdbnail.jpg

thusaddadmbnail.jpg

ss.jpg

thumbasdasdnail.jpg

thumbnsfdfdsail.jpg

thumdddbnail.jpg

Last edited:
These typically had the 1-3/4” Schwinn scripted Stimsonite reflector in the hole by the lower fender brace.
Those upper holes look like they had a Whizzer type tail light.
That’s probably what the wires on the chainstay were for.
Most likely had a battery tube mounted down there.
The rack reflector on the 39/40 models was the type with the triple step aluminum bezel.

Is the other half of the tank missing?
Give that wood shop a good search for the light cover and that tank half.
They are probably on that property somewhere.

Back