When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New find. 1940 Schwinn Canti Autocycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These typically had the 1-3/4” Schwinn scripted Stimsonite reflector in the hole by the lower fender brace.
Those upper holes look like they had a Whizzer type tail light.
That’s probably what the wires on the chainstay were for.
Most likely had a battery tube mounted down there.
The rack reflector on the 39/40 models was the type with the triple step aluminum bezel.

There are lots of brittle wires running everywhere which I am slowly removing along with the black cloth tape and black glue residue. I thought about the whizzer light in the upper holes but thought it was too high of a location. Will have to look closer if it would fit. Maybe it had a custom taillight.

Last edited:
What an amazing find, congrats first and foremost.

Couple of observations:

- The tanks don't typically get primer, pretty common for the paint to be slightly off hue even though it is the same color in the can.
- Has some deluxe model parts (chrome rack top, speedo, tank) but the fenderlight fender instead of bomb - weird and cool
- The tank - not a push button horn unit style that would accompany that fender in 1940. (just clarifying)
- Are the spring fork AS bolts the longer ones to fit the brackets for the dual lights?

I wonder if it was a custom order or period custom build. Either way it is absolutely amazing and I would love to be the one looking for a tank half for it. Please update us with the progress if you keep it and get it on the road again.

Last edited:
HOLY SHI+!
giphy (18).gif

Couple of observations:

- The tanks don't typically get primer, pretty common for the paint to be slightly off hue even though it is the same color in the can.
- Has some deluxe model parts (chrome rack top, speedo, tank) but the fenderlight fender instead of bomb - weird and cool
- The tank - not a push button horn unit style that would accompany that fender in 1940. (just clarifying)
- The chainring - is it the 40/41 style or the earlier "sawblade" style?
- Are the spring fork AS bolts the longer ones to fit the brackets for the dual lights?

I wonder if it was a custom order or period custom build. Either way it is absolutely amazing and I would love to be the one looking for a tank half for it. Please update us with the progress if you keep it and get it on the road again.

There is a small pushbutton by the E in Autocycle but the center pusher is missing so now you can see thru. A little rust forming around it too on the tank. I agree the features it has seem to be custom and maybe they were requested by Kaufmann's just to be different from Schwinn.

Hard to believe the other half of the tank is gone. I say that because the bike is pretty much there. Did you personally pick it up and was able to search for the tank yourself? Just curious. Congrats, great find, love the color combo.

Congrats on a once in a lifetime score! Like someone said above I think. There are repop tanks floating around metal/aluminum and non metal. I’m sure you will be able to sleuth one out in due time. Can’t wait to see your cleanup pics!

Couple of observations:

- The chainring - is it the 40/41 style or the earlier "sawblade" style?

The spring fork AS bolts don't look like the long ones for the dual lights.

Hard to believe the other half of the tank is gone. I say that because the bike is pretty much there. Did you personally pick it up and was able to search for the tank yourself? Just curious. Congrats, great find, love the color combo.
Yes I was pretty bummed out when I saw the left tank half missing but I had to take it for what it was because the price was right.

Back