When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New find. 1940 Schwinn Canti Autocycle

-
Congrats on an amazing find! Hard to believe stuff like this is still out there waiting to be discovered!

Read his description more closely... says the switch hole is there but no evidence screws were ever fastened down.
(why would they? bike has a fender light) cool and confused 40' Schwinn

Original post was edited after the discussion was made about the bike.
It wasn’t clear from the photo, if the switch hole was there.
None of that information was in the original description.
Now everything seems out of context.
Kind of an Adam Schiff move. Lol!

Last edited:
Great score! The condition is unbelieveable for Pennsylvania. That bike has definitely been taken care of. I'm excited to see how it cleans up.

Kaufmann's was founded in 1871 and was the premier department store in downtown Pittsburgh. I can remember visiting the downtown location many times as a kid, but more often we went to Kaufmann's at our local mall. Fancy smancy and crowded is really what I remember from downtown. I can see them having their own badges and ordering very well equipped bikes. Only the best...

"Story goes he was riding down a hill that was cinder covered, crashed, hurt his leg and never road it again."
They used to take the cinders from the steel mills on the river and throw them on the roads when it snowed or use them to cover unpaved roads. Best part was all the sharp pig iron pieces that were mixed in and would flat your car tire on a snowy winter day.

@Howard Gordon has probably seen a few Kaufmann's bikes in the 'burgh.

Last edited:
I’m thinking, that the remnant in the side of the tank was probably a toggle or pushbutton type switch for the tail light that was up by the rack.
Maybe this type o tail light?View attachment 1079009
View attachment 1079010
Yes that would make sense.
Great score! The condition is unbelieveable for Pennsylvania. That bike has definitely been taken care of. I'm excited to see how it cleans up.

Kaufmann's was founded in 1871 and was the premier department store in downtown Pittsburgh. I can remember visiting the downtown location many times as a kid, but more often we went to Kaufmann's at our local mall. Fancy smancy and crowded is really what I remember from downtown. I can see them having their own badges and ordering very well equipped bikes. Only the best...

"Story goes he was riding down a hill that was cinder covered, crashed, hurt his leg and never road it again."
They used to take the cinders from the steel mills on the river and throw them on the roads when it snowed or use them to cover unpaved roads. Best part was all the sharp pig iron pieces that were mixed in and would flat your car tire on a snowy winter day.

@Howard Gordon has probably seen a few Kaufmann's bikes in the 'burgh.
Great time to be a kid. No cell phones no computers just go out and make your own fun.

Sweet find! Every time i go to look,,, im hoping for what you found! And i look alot! People always say “ ive got this old bike” but it’s never like that one! Never!

THIS FIND REMINDS ME OF MY FIND IN A GARAGE IN MY HOME TOWN!
1941 DELUXE AUTOCYCLE! HANGING IN GARAGE 40 PLUS YEARS!
NEVER RIDDEN SINCE 1941-2!
232 MI ON SPEEDO! US ROYAL MASTER CENTIPEDE TIRES!
WHEELS WERE LOBDELL AND NEVER TAKEN OFF THE BIKE!
NOR ANYTHING ELSE.
004.JPG

JUST SOMETHING....THE RACK TOP NOT BEING CHROME IS THE ONLY THING...THE WAR BREAKING OUT SCHWINN STARTED CHANGING THINGS THIS YEAR!!!!….THE BEST SUPER DELUXE AUTO CYCLE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Last edited:
Back