When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new find.....pope mfg comet truss frame bike.....i need new wheels......

-

indianfaze

Look Ma, No Hands!
just got this bike, does anyone have a set of fairly true wooden wheels i can buy. or know where i can get these fixed? although i think these are almost un-repairable. they are badly warped...i want to fix this one up nice ..also looking for a front fender.....thanks guys........
a-20.gif
aa-18.gif
aaaa-18.gif

Last edited:
Wow, cool bike! Rims are always a problem with these, you see them on ebay occasionally, but they bring big $. Also, repop glue-on tires for these are about $120 a piece. A lot of folks have used modern 700c rims, or English/Dutch/Chinese Roadster 28" clincher rims to resurrect these oldies.

nice! i love those arch/truss frames! search around on previous threads for info on the tires...there are some guys here that have fixed or straightened their rims as well with some plywood and clamps, water and a little patience. if you want to just ride the thing and aren't worried about originality then do what adamthetinkerer said. RE : 700c rims. i built a set of 700c (29er) mountain bike rims with early hubs and use these on my "rider" bikes until i can find a better set of rims, ( have'nt had luck yet for the price i'm willing to pay) no one locally will criticize you for having new wheels on a bitchen ancient cycle like that.good score. i'm jelouse! how did you get it? craigslist? is there a story? some old guy said he had a barn with a bike in it? iwant to know!

yea, yewhi is doing the same thing in the thread "blasphemy!!!!" his ride is really sweet!

I love everything about this bike! I really like the Truss frame and the parts on it are very cool as well. The Velocity Blunt/electra amsterdam combination works really well for the wheel set. They are strong and fit very well in the fenders.

Good luck and great bike!

You can get new wood rims 28" x1 1/2" for glue on single tube tires drilled to how many spoke holes you need
For little over $100.00 each I just bought several rims have two 36 hole rims left.

thanks for the messages guys... this bike was at a barn auction and thats the only reason i was there. got what i came there for. i recently got a few more similar era bikes and will take some pics when i get a second...

does anyone know the date of this bike? or possibly have an old pope scan or catalog with this bike in it? i would love to see what the bike came with exactly.....fyi...i just bought a set of new all white tires..had to do it!...so i will see if i can salvage these rims for now and see what she looks like cleaned up...

Back