When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Finds

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If the ISO is the same the 1.5 tire should fit. But why would you want to go with a skinnier tire than a 1.75 middleweight tire? The classification for 1 1/2" tire is a Welterweight. Schwinn used that size on their T & C Tandems and two-year 53-54 Welterweight.
What are the disadvantages of a 1.5?

Balloon tires might have an advantage in off road conditions, where narrow tires might tend to dig into a narrow rut (perhaps created by the tires).

Also, skinnier tires have less material, and may be expected to wear out sooner than wider tires with more material to give.

Last edited:
Other than looking funny, no real disadvantages
It was the style/price that attracted me and it wasn't available in the 1.75. I may reconsider if the appearance is that noticeable. It will be for very casual riding by somebody 70 years old on the rail trails with their dog!!!

Depending on the bike and the frame fenders etc. you could possibly go with a slightly larger tire if the 1.75’s are hard to find

Depending on the bike and the frame fenders etc. you could possibly go with a slightly larger tire if the 1.75’s are hard to find
Is there really that much visible difference between the 1.5 and 1.75? I was more concerned about it fitting the rim.

Is there really that much visible difference between the 1.5 and 1.75? I was more concerned about it fitting the rim.
A 1.5 tire is in between a lightweight tire and a middleweight tire. I personally would notice a difference from 25 feet away with the big air gap between the fender and tire. The actual tire profile can also vary in size depending on what type of tire, like a knobby mountain bike tire to a street slick. Your rim can take a wider tire just like a car rim. The bike frame and the fenders will dictate how wide you can actually go.

Here's two tires for the 26" S-7 middleweights. 1-3/4".... Big difference between these two tires!

Duro Brick Tread S-7 001.JPG

Duro Brick Tread S-7 004.JPG

Duro Brick Tread S-7 006.JPG

A 1.5 tire is in between a lightweight tire and a middleweight tire. I personally would notice a difference from 25 feet away with the big air gap between the fender and tire. The actual tire profile can also vary in size depending on what type of tire, like a knobby mountain bike tire to a street slick. Your rim can take a wider tire just like a car rim. The bike frame and the fenders will dictate how wide you can actually go.

Here's two tires for the 26" S-7 middleweights. 1-3/4".... Big difference between these two tires!

View attachment 1786227

View attachment 1786228

View attachment 1786230
Thank you

The red one is an Evans.....not something You see everyday....From what I have seen though their quality leaves something to be desired...

Back