When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy here, questions on what to keep authentic

-

nitrous_bob

On Training Wheels
Hi everyone, new guy here from Michigan. So I’ve recently got the bug to snatch up old bikes. I’ve scored a ‘73 Schwinn twinn, and 2 muscle bikes. A his and hers Ross “polobike”
I’m not looking to sell, just clean up , but I’d hate to make a noobie mistake.
When it comes to replacing anything, is there any rule of thumb for what to keep at all cost and what might not be a big deal ?
I’d like to replace the banana seats on the Ross bikes, the rest should clean up just fine. Some of the chrome on the schwinn might not clean up enuff and I’m guessing that’s a big issue for enthusiasts

So anyways, chime in, skool me on “the way” lol

And thanx in advance

Schwinn Chrome from that era usually surprises me. Many pieces I did not think would clean up have. Definitely give it a try.

Welcome to the Cabe If you are getting into bikes always remember that just because it is old doesnt make it collectable.Quality over quantity always wins.If you get a bike that is rider quality try to just make it a rider with possibly new tubes and tires.This is a tough question.Certain bikes you should learn from and not worry if they are not collectable. Stay on the Cabe and you will learn a lot. Many years of experience on this site.

1131854D-9D6C-4979-94EF-E79F6470F7D9.jpeg
13BF0981-D818-4699-B9C6-28A8B23B74FF.jpeg
004F0890-9D26-46E4-A99A-3E56392A5A38.jpeg
EFC9EAB1-2040-4FE5-BFBC-CE35B046BB20.jpeg

Nice collection nitrous bob,Im in Shelby Twp and also have a Deluxe 5 Speed Twinn. I think you have "lightweight" rims, They would be stamped Schwinn Tubular S6. The tires would be Schwinn Specific but easy to get. The rims are 26 X 1-3/8" not 1.375" The numbers have the same magnitude mathematically but mean 2 different things. The Schwinn 26" tires have a larger inner diameter. They are ISO 597MM,thats the Bead Seat Diameter,but really, its the inner diameter for all practical purposes . That might read confusing but it isnt. If I see your pics wrong and you have "middleweight" rims,They would be stamped Schwinn Tubular S7. The tires would also be Schwinn specific but also easy to get. The rims would be 26 X 1-3/4" not 1.75" Again,the numbers have the same magnitude mathematically but mean 2 different things. The Schwinn 26" middleweight tires have a bead Seat Diameter or inside diameter of ISO 571MM. Do a google search for those tires and you'll get a few hits............BTW,Sometimes the stampings in the rims are unclear or faint. You can read the tires to determine what you have

Last edited:
The Polo Bikes take a standard 20 X 1.75" front and a Standard 20 X 1.75" or 2.125" Rear. The rear rim will accept either. You might have to get them online as well.

Last edited:
Back