When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy, need a hand indentifying pre-33 bicycle!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
wheels,...since I want to ride it...

I've been thinking,....since I eventually want to ride this little treasure once in a while, what would be the best period correct setup regarding wheels and rims to run on it?

I've like to keep the wooden rims or get metal clad,....

what then??
Thanks

then youd need some single tube tires or sew ups(memorylane,cooker tires,harpers tires,and universal tires all sell repops of them) just be warned theyre pricey and not actual single tubes but the work and look correct...
ive been riding on a set from universal for about 3 months now without any problems

Sensor, How well do the Universals work as a bicycle tire? Equivalent to a heavy balloon tire, or heavier and rougher riding? the "semi pneumatic" description is scaring me off. I've been thinking of using the Vittoria sew-up cyclocross tires just because they are probably a better performing and handling tire.
Thanks!

then youd need some single tube tires or sew ups(memorylane,cooker tires,harpers tires,and universal tires all sell repops of them) just be warned theyre pricey and not actual single tubes but the work and look correct...
ive been riding on a set from universal for about 3 months now without any problems

Memory lane does have them? I hadnt noticed them there on the website??
I have Universal's on my prewar '29 roadster hot rod (period correct), I think they provide good products.

Anyone repro or carry wooden rims?....or would I be better off with metal-clad rims?

Ghisallo makes wooden rims, including clinchers which would solve the tire problem:
http://www.cerchiinlegnoghisallo.com/homeeng.php
Some are available in the US:
http://wheelfanatyk.blogspot.com/2007/05/cermenati-wood-rims.html
Original wood and metal clad rims show up fairly frequently- do the ones on the bike have any problems?
Edit- the US supplier carries modern sizes-26", 700C. From the looks of the company on the Italian site, they could probably make rims for 28" tires if you asked nice.
Re-edit-They DO make rims for 28" clinchers! This could be the best solution for a bike with natural finish rims. I'm working on one that had painted rims, and a part of me would not like painting over the new Ghisallo rims....

Last edited:
yes memory lane does(at least they have them listed as available)
its on there site in bike parts under tires(28x1 1/2" pneumatic black white &red for wood rims) they also have sew ups(grey only).
as for the universals ive had no problems with them at all. they grab nice and the ride is good(not as cushy as a set of balloons but still a nice ride)!
as far as i know no one makes repop wood/clad rims your best bet is posting here and ratrodbikes in the classified and of course watching ebay and craigslist(check car show,and swap meets also...you might get lucky)
good luck and post some pics when shes rolling again!
WOW! thanks for that link andrew!

Back