new guy wanting some bike info

This ad disappears when logged in

Melli25

'Lil Knee Scuffer
May 25, 2019
hutch kansas
hey everyone. thanks for letting me join this great group. Im normally a fan and car kinda guy but have been looking at bikes more and more now..

heres my question. it might be dumb.. I Purchased this 61 ( supposed one year?) Schwinn Flying Star. in decent shape. I've located a tank for it. a correct one. now the tank isn't cheap. 150$ but its the correct one that came off the bike ( original seller wanted to part bike out.)

but i recently found this Monark that looks complete. its listed at 200$ but negotiable. i don't really care on value aspect but what would be a better project? i like the schwinn but see a lot of missing parts IE tank and light.. etc. The Monark is rough but very cool. so I'm just wanting honest opinions on this.

Thanks Guys,

Matt.

flying star.jpg

monark.jpg

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Jun 25, 2016
North Carolina , Albemarle, NC, United States
Monarch BWDIK :sunglasses:

There is a reason that seat cover is on there...maybe good - maybe bad. Could be a nice $$$ leather seat, or it could have been chewed on by a rodent. Ask me how I know...

Phattiremike

I live for the CABE
May 16, 2016
Dahlonega Ga.
Welcome to the CABE, I agree w/ others the Monark is the bike to clean up and invest in. Good luck.

Mike

Miq

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 12, 2019
Arizona
Welcome Matt! The Monark looks cooler if you ask me. Can’t wait to see what you do with either bike.

Melli25

'Lil Knee Scuffer
May 25, 2019
hutch kansas
Thanks guys.

So the tank is available.

The monark / both are available and I can get but will have to wait a month. Due to flooding and vacations for the sellers etc.

Now I’m gonna throw the wild card out. I haven’t seen this bike. It’s a men’s. Wooden rim Westimenster? All I got is this photo. Price is 180$ I’m not sure how I can make this but work but it has to be early right?

31234CBF-E7A3-4E10-AE35-0168E1D86ADE.jpeg

Archie Sturmer

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Cool badge. There is information and threads on the Simmons hardware store bikes eventually assumed by Shapleigh HDW.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ec-simmons-westminster.90884/
Not sure if 29xx refers to 1929, and who built the bikes for Simmons in those days.
Some look to be Snyder, Shelby or others, A&S, over the years and catalogs.
If you start collecting, you might consider how much you really like a certain style, for example, if it is a more plain diamond frame.
EC Simmons 1930.jpg

1930 E.C. Simmons Catalog (page 1912).
How to make it work - if work means frequent riding, then modern tires, tubes and rims, or complete wheelsets may be one route.
Some choose the slightly more-costly method of the reproduction obsolete single-tube tire.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/westminster-bike-info.152997/

Last edited:

Melli25

'Lil Knee Scuffer
May 25, 2019
hutch kansas
Cool badge. There is information and threads on the Simmons hardware store bikes eventually assumed by Shapleigh HDW.
Not sure if 29xx refers to 1929, and who built the bikes for Simmons in those days.
Some look to be Snyder, Shelby or others, A&S.
If you start collecting, you might consider how much you really like a certain style, for example, if it is a more plain diamond frame.

Thank you for the info. I figured I’d at least check the bike out and get photos tomorrow. I really like the tank style bikes. But I’m not opposed to somthing older. I’m just clueless on these bikes at the moment. I appreciate it!

Adamtinkerer

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 8, 2008
Western North carolina
Most collectors start out with middleweight bikes like the flying star, then move on to the balloon era like the Monark, and sometimes further back to early bikes like the Westminster. They're all cool in my book though!

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture