When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy with a Hawthorne Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

Velostigmat

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey everyone,
I'm Chris and brand new to the CABE. I recently got the guts of this Hawthorne Flyer and am looking foward to my first vintage bike build/restoration.

The bike's SN is G27234. All I know about the bike is that its a motorbike style and originally had 28" tires. Any more information (especially what the original sprocket and handlebars looked like) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF2096.JPG
    DSCF2096.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCF2097.JPG
    DSCF2097.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCF2098.jpg
    DSCF2098.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 229
Welcome! Hawthorne switched to all balloon tires in 1934, so yours is earlier than that! Most of that era used a sprocket that looks like a snowflake. You can search the photo archives for old Hawthornes and probably can get an idea of what the whole bike looked like. It probably also had cross braced handlebars. The biggest problem you'll have is trying to find rims & tires, very pricey! Many have swapped in modern 700c rims, or the 28" rims used on english roadster and european/Chinese commuter bikes.

Thanks Adam. I've found one crank set ,a picture (different bike but same crank) is below.

Would this bike originally have had a New Departure model C or model D rear hub? Also if I opt to use English roadster/European commuter rims, will the the rims be compatible with 1930s New Departure hubs?

Thanks!

Attachments

• hawthorne_flyer_(11).jpg
    hawthorne_flyer_(11).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 164
as long as the hole count on the hubs and the rims are the same it shouldnt be a problem......although there are real wheels floating around that can be had for the cost of a set of the chinese(just takes some searching is all) ones

Actually, this is the one I'm talking about, pulled from the Cabe archives, a very crusty Flyer:
HawthFlyercrusty-1.jpg
That's the 'snowflake' sprocket. Btw, awesome og paint!!! I saw the larger pics on RRB tonight.

Hawthorne Deluxe

I just found this one. It may give you some idea of what's what . . .

000_1401-1.jpg

000_1403-1.jpg

000_1404-1.jpg

Back