When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy with an Iver Johnson project

-
Welcome Gerald, nice job so far on the Mobicycle ! It looks great in black with the aged wood wheels.
I have been working at piecing a Mobicycle together the past couple months and its now in ride able
form with modern rims and tires, its my best riding prewar bike, very light yet feels solid as a rock !
Mark

Welcome Gerald, nice job so far on the Mobicycle ! It looks great in black with the aged wood wheels.
I have been working at piecing a Mobicycle together the past couple months and its now in ride able
form with modern rims and tires, its my best riding prewar bike, very light yet feels solid as a rock !
Mark

Cool. I have been contemplating second modern wheelset. Do you have a pic? What kind of rubber did you choose?

Nice looking Mobicycle escapeartist........................I don't really mind the red fenders but I do agree that the black may look better. I have a similar Iver Mobicycle, same frame size I believe, that I'm slowly piecing together myself. Good luck. Pete in Fitchburg

Gerald , since you ask here you go !
Still a work in progress as my hunt continues for more parts.
100_1814_zpsg0ryl56q-1.jpg

100_1812_zps298794cc-1.jpg

Fake knotty finish not so popular
100_1810_zps9cf7454d-1.jpg

running Schwalbe Little Big Ben tires 700 38c on Blunt 35s
MARK

Mark, I love that paint. I am a sap for anything aged, crusty or weathered.

It took a few moments to connect the dots... Soooo that's what the wood patterned Blunts look like!

Gentleman. Ladies.

My name is Gerald. I live the NW corner of CT. I have been mechanic, restorer (mostly auto), and bicycle nut since I was “knee-high to a grasshopper”.

On the work bench we currently have a ‘22(ish) Iver Johnson Mobicycle (19”, S/N 354222) that is undergoing a partial renovation. It was purchased as a basket case gone bad. Someone had stripped the frame clean and then walked away from the pile.

It did come with nearly one-of-everything, except for the truss and drop stand nuts/stops. It sits on the original (once) painted wood wheels (IJ front/Corbin rear).

The direction for the build is to pair “perfect paint” with “rusty rat”. Frame is fresh and black, fenders are red and rusty. All other parts will be correct/appropriate nickel-era parts, either weathered or rusty. It will be a display bike, well-enough sorted for an easy once-around the neighborhood. (We call that a rider in these parts.)

So Far:
Frameset has undergone extensive wet sanding prep process, shot in basic black lacquer.
Original fork crown nickel plating has been retained.
Repop Mobicycle decal applied to downtube.
Bike is currently mocked-up dry to prep for final assembly.
Most components have been cleaned and sorted.

And Then:
I am currently test fitting fenders (w/ glass reflector), drop stand and clip.
I still have some weathering/patina work to do to frameset as I sort and assemble.
Rear wheel needs a few spokes and some truing.
Saddle needs to be restored.

View attachment 207222
View attachment 207223View attachment 207224
View attachment 207225
View attachment 207226

I think black fenders: Nice job

Thanks Gerald , I spent several hours removing two repaints to get that original paint back !
I bought the rims in black and had a buddy of mine do the wood grain paint job as he is a
much better air brush artist than I am, the next pair wont have the knots just the grain and
shading around the spoke holes.
Mark

Back