When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member: Murray Missile Rider

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KRayee

On Training Wheels
Hi folks,

After more than 50 years, I have my first bicycle still. I'm 62 but received a Murray Missile for Christmas in 1967 or 1968 [I have had a few bikes since then ;)]. Here is a photo. I took off the aluminum rack that was on the bacK. I painted it black in the late 1970's. I sort of restored it to it's original maroon color about five years ago. I have one issue. The beads on the Kenda whitewalls are slipping off . Tire size is shown as 26 x1.75. Any ideas on how to make it rideable. Should I just re-

seat the tires or get new tires?

KRayee

Nice bike. Beads slipping off the rims, (not slipping off from the rest of the tire); I have noticed this with some slippery whitewalls.
A recommendation might be to ensure the rims are clean, such as a wipe down with rubbing alcohol.
Similar for the tire beads, as there may be some slippery tire mold release substance remaining there.
If cleaning and usual care in seating tires, and patience when inflating to riding pressure does not resolve, then perhaps replacement (or swap) tires may be way to go.
Welcome to the CABE!

Not a general fan of 1960’s space bikes; yet the only one I own is also a Murray Missile frame style (normal top tube). I believe that design was the most conservative of the space bikes, (especially when they moved the cantilevered tubes from the back/top of the down tube, to the sides of the down tube). Your bike gives a shining inspiration to the potential for old middleweight cruisers.

Last edited:
Back