When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member... Old bike!

-

dasberger

I live for the CABE
Hello all!

New member here and excited to become a part of the CABE community. A brief background... I'm in my early forties and live in Atlanta where I am a renovator and homebuilder specializing in Tudor homes from the 1920's. A labor of love for sure! I have been collecting and restoring Mid Century Modern furniture as well as Vintage Fender and Martin guitars for some time. I love the thrill of the hunt and seeing these objects being brought back to live another day. I've rescued some amazing pieces from the trash heap for sure. Which brings me to CABE....

About five years ago my dad (being obsessed with auctions) heard they were auctioning all the "Flair" off the walls of an old T.G.I Fridays... you know the place with the loaded tater skins... yeah that one. Well anyway it turns out whoever picked for Friday's all those years ago had a pretty good eye! We
ended up with some great stuff from that auction and among the spoils was the bike that brings me here... Since that day the bike has been a wall hanger in our office and I knew one day I would get around to giving it some love. We knew it was a cool bike and after going down the rabbit hole here on CABE I'm amazed it came off the wall of a Friday's.

Well, the time has come to give it some love! It's missing a few parts which I'm hoping someone has laying around and I'm open to suggestions as how to proceed with this one. I know there are at least a few opinions here but I would like to get this one riding again. I know there are purists who will say leave it as is but I don't think it's particularly historically significant and I'm of the opinion that relics of the past can be a bridge to the future... Just look at the resurgence of cycling in our cities! With that in mind I feel this bike should live to roll again!

Thanks in advance for all of the great info! And I welcome any insight on this bike. Enjoy the pics...

Josh

1916 Iver Johnson Roadster Serial # 261198

On the surface I'm looking for a left crank arm and either a left pedal or set of pedals... looks like they pulled it off so it would sit against the wall at TGIFridays. I'm sure as I get into there will be other parts I need.

IMG_8891.jpg

IMG_8891.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the CABE from another Georgia guy! Cool bike. The downside to these 28" bikes is the cost of a rideable wheelset which will probably be at least $500 no matter which way you go. Place a wanted ad in the Parts Wanted section for the other stuff. A few hardcore Iver guys here so i expect someone has the parts. V/r Shawn

Does the 3rd to last picture show holes in the dirt?
There may be economy options for rolling wheels - such as modern 700 (i.e., 622 mm) parts under $200-, (even 3-speed).
The hard parts may be the special cranks.
Although not a purist, I vote for removing the non-original drywall screws (as shown in the 5th picture), and maybe the front basket.

Last edited:
Look online for a 700c single speed, coaster brake wheel set. There’s a new one on eBay now for $179 and it has front and back wheels. That’s what I did with my old Iver Johnson. It had wooden wheels and I didn’t want to ride on them so I used a 700c wheel set instead.

For a few extra hundred clams you can retain those wooden rims.
Robert Dean has 28” tubular replacement tires for $300-$350 in black, white and red.
If I could save these rims you can save yours.

All it takes is time and patience. Lots of patience.
Here’s how I did it....

Also I have a pair of used wood grips very similar to yours.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! I'm going to start with just trying to clean it up a bit and see what I'm working with. That dust has legs! I've done some exploratory cleaning and I really think the years of sizzling fajita grease and dust have preserved the paint fairly well. I will post some progress pics. Either way I'm starting with the compressor and some penetrating oil.

[B]rusty_apache[/B]... that's some impressive work! Makes my rims look pretty good... excepting the drywall screw!

Back