When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member... Old bike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
For a few extra hundred clams you can retain those wooden rims.
Robert Dean has 28” tubular replacement tires for $300-$350 in black, white and red.
If I could save these rims you can save yours.
View attachment 1089386

All it takes is time and patience. Lots of patience.
Here’s how I did it....

Also I have a pair of used wood grips very similar to yours.

I'd be interest4ed in seeing those grips
They were on my 1901 Cleveland when I bought it. I don’t know how old they are but they have soul.

A relatively new option for 28" tires is tubular (aka single-tube aka sewups) 700c CX race tires. They can be stretched to fit the wood rims if you choose to keep those, and are cheaper and much lighter i.e. easier to ride than the Robert Dean tires. They can be tricky to search for because some sellers think tubular is a clincher that requires a tube, rather than a doughnut with an integral tube. I think this page shows correct search results: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/tubular-cross-tires

After cleaning the bike up a bit I noticed that both wheels have been drilled when some numbnuts hung it on the wall. I could patch the holes but I still think their integrity is compromised. I think the originals will remain as display only.

Note Drywall Screw...

Ive managed to get a set of hubs that match the period and patina of my originals and I am going to get some wood clinchers. Seems like the best choice for durability, look and tire selection. I'm a pretty big guy and I'd hate to trash the originals!

Here's where I am thus far. Looks like I finally have a crank arm on the way (thanks Sean) so should be getting close soon!

Back