When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New member / Old Bikes! (1961

-

patricky

On Training Wheels
Hello all - I'm going to be selling these 2 mid-century Schwinn ladies bikes which based on my initial research would be a 1951 (Starlet) and 1957 (not sure which model - I'm guessing the chain guards and Bendix assemblies on both are not original). They're pretty rough as you can see from the pix. Horn and light are not currently working on the Starlet (old batteries were in the Starlet so there is a bit of corrosion and the light interior is pretty rusted). Photos attached and would definitely appreciate any insight / input any of you might have on either of these. I'm definitely out of my element in terms of knowledge and experience so thought I'd come straight to the source. Apologies for the photos being a little out-of-order and thanks in advance!

LMK if you have any suggestions about a fair price / value for these - open to any interested cabe members for the first week before going to th e bay...

thank you!

Bendix made coaster brake hubs, (and auto parts), but not likely sheet-metal parts like chain guards, (or fenders & racks).
The chain guards may be original, or same manufacturer (A&S) because they mount to the already built-in brackets.
An after-market chain guard would have more of an one-size-fits-all adjustable mounting provision.

Th,e black bike is 1952 or prior because the serial number is stamped into the bottom bracket. The chain guard and rack are aftermarket replacements. The forebrake needs a cable. Locking fork and springer fork are top of the line. If it had chrome fenders, I would think it would be a Panther. The Starlet did not have these two features. Repainted using someone's ideas of their own on the tank.

The white bike is a 1961. This CO-ED is missing the headlight (handlebar post mounted) and the front rack - the attachment is still on the fork. The blue chainguard is correct. On white bikes, sometimes the chainguard was painted to match the pinstriping on the fenders. A bath in oxalic acid would get rid of all that surface rust.

1962-coed.jpg

The pictured bike is a 62, it has a different paint scheme on the head tube.

Last edited:
Th,e black bike is 1952 or prior because the serial number is stamped into the bottom bracket. The chain guard and rack are aftermarket replacements. The forebrake needs a cable. Locking fork and springer fork are top of the line. If it had chrome fenders, I would think it would be a Panther. The Starlet did not have these two features. Repainted using someone's ideas of their own on the tank.

The white bike is a 1961. This Coed is missing the headlight (handlebar post mounted) and the front rack - the attachment is still on the fork. The blue chainguard is correct. On white bikes, sometimes the chainguard was painted to match the pinstriping on the fenders. A bath in oxalic acid would get rid of all that surface rust.

View attachment 1338234

The pictured bike is a 62, it has a different paint scheme on the head tube.
Much appreciated - thanks for the info! Any suggestions about a realistic value for either of them in their current condition?

Nice bikes, but as every will tell you there is not a lot of money in ladies' bikes.

The CO-ED is missing the sought after light and rack so you have basically a bottom level bike - painted fenders, painted rims, no tank. I'm from the Midwest and around here that would sell for $75 to $100 because of the kickback hub.. I don't know where you live so I have no idea of their value there. You'll get beat up by a collector because of the missing parts.

The black bike is much more highly desirable because of the locking / springer fork. If it were me, I would remove the rear rack, fix the forebrake, and look for a correct chainguard. Again here in the Midwest maybe $250 - $300. Near a beach, with all the correct parts, could more than twice that. (Lots of old guys don't mind riding a "step-through" or "unisex" bike)This chainguard is $40 on Ebay.
s-l400 (1).jpg

I don't know if this bike would have had a Phantom style or 9 hole rack. One of those will cost $75 - $100. But there are other questionable items that a knowledgeable collector will have to haggle over. Have you inspected the wheels to ascertain if they're the correct S-2s? Post your location and maybe some local will kick in some ideas. In my own mind, this is what I think the bike originally looked like.

img.jpeg

Last edited:
The Black bike in my opinion is a 1951 D-69 or Hornet. The Starlet had a different paint scheme and pastel colors.

Clean up that coed, some new tires it would sell at the beach for sure. white schwinn bikes are somewhat of an oddity. That hornet will sell itself, proper parts would make make sure of that .GL
A bath in oxalic acid would get rid of all that surface rust.

Unless it was dealer installed, the hornet did not come with a locking Springer fork and the Hornet had a torpedo light rather than a rocket ray. The paint scheme on the tank is not factory. I think the entire bike is a repaint. Did any girl's models originally come in black? @patricky look at the under side of the fender and see if there's any evidence that they might be chrome painted black.

I don't see a torpedo light. Just about every balloon model had the springer fork option when ordered from the factory since the day it was introduced.

1610671569605.png

Back