When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New (old) guy looking for answers.

-

warpaint

On Training Wheels
Hi all. I was just given a Western Flyer I was told was made by Raleigh. I have always like old bikes and would like to get this one back on the road. What can you tell me about it? I see RIA 2901 A on a sticker. What looks like 819 03 WB on the seat post. Hanging on a wall for the last 30 years I was told. Where should I start and what should I do to help her out. Be nice. Again I'm new. Thanks for any and all help. WP
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG

Hello- Welcome to the Cabe. I like your Bike- has a good vintage look. I`m afraid I can`t add much about your bike as to date- but looks pretty much complete and original. `Shouldn`t take much to get it going. Start with a gentle soap and water bath and a little wax afterwards. Be easy on the decal areas. Then grease up and lube crank bearings, wheel bearings and fork. We wish You Good Luck--- God Bless,---Cowboy

Welcome to the Cabe! Maybe late 50’s-60’s? Air up those tires and give her a spin. Make sure you still have brakes those cables can freeze up over time.

Very traditional English 3 speed. Looks like it's in pretty nice shape. Comfortable upright riding posision. Time tested S/A 3 speed. Lube it up, should make a fun rider!

Definitely Raleigh
A few photos from my (known) '57 Lenton Grand Prix (first year actually before catalog introduction)
376b4074-36b8-48a0-95f2-0dbc6175d376-jpg.jpg
e6641410-37d9-4442-aec8-8c31b26125d0-jpg.jpg

5 numbers, 2 letters
this Raleigh s/n system began in 1955 - in '61 moved the RA/RB WA/WB up front and added a suffix letter (per Kurt Kaminer)
Most likely, the letters are in series,
which would make your bike later than mine, but certainly '57-'61
There's no additional s/n logic for these bikes on the net, other than finding dated examples and comparing serial numbers
590ae563-82d0-48e6-a86b-401aecc4e5bc-jpg.jpg
a502206c-574c-47f6-a149-4cc0f3b7ad8d-jpg.jpg

@LouB - what's the serial number on your '60 Lenton?
I'll try to get this from Lou and see how it compares.
@SirMike1983 may have some great data points for this

Where should you begin? Build stand is helpful, but variations on it work, such as straps hanging from solid ceiling hooks. Wheels and chain off, clean the chain; all the bearings (headset, bottom bracket, front hub) have to come apart for cleaning (maybe loose ball replacement) and lube. While it's down, good time to rub the paint with Meguiars. If you look under the Restoration page, you'll find remedies for the rust. 301 Protectant is great stuff for cleaning old plastic.
May need new cables, not necessarily cable housings. Great idea to spray Boeshield through those old cable housings (pucker and blow it through, repeat until it comes through clean). Almost certainly will need new tires and tubes, but those are easy to find.
As far as lube of the SW hub, it's not something I've ever tackled, so might want to hunt around or ask some of the SW experts here what's involved. Might also want to check Lightweights page on this forum for more specifics.

You can find YouTube for just about anything, and Park Tools is a great reference
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
The late Sheldon is also a great resource
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html

Last edited:
Back