When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New old stock Giovannini frame set

-

bikerbluz

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hoping someone might have some info on this. I’m pretty sure it’s mid 80s. Couldn’t find much info online. Thanks in advance.

6C730AC1-B476-430D-BE9A-8B59A2435AFA.jpeg

510DCD77-EF81-44C8-93FC-661B9F54F8AA.jpeg

1C453176-EF4D-4847-B8A4-49FCC0A01D44.jpeg

16643996-6B4E-487F-8BC3-F6814FA1CB0D.jpeg

5E52B04F-BDB5-479B-A87F-428E0B9C1571.jpeg

2BE4D1A0-EBFA-4B36-B6C1-BE5289CE73F6.jpeg

90827A03-D5A4-468B-9861-2E09F98DFC99.jpeg

477D92AE-7BE1-4256-97B6-9E3D7D595FE7.jpeg

------

Forum member @MauriceMoss shall be able to enlighten us in great detail on this frameset.

Lug pattern is BOCAMA.

IIRC this shell with the two slot cutouts is a stock Fischer item.

Dating - leaning more to early '80's rather than mid '80's, partially due to absence of seat tube w/b mount. Thinking no later than '83.

Maurice will likely be able to give it to us down to the fortnight! ;)

-----

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone for the response. Juvela, thanks so much for the info. I have been on the Cabe for several years, but this is my first time posting pics. I came across this frame when I went to pick up a bike off Craigslist. The guy brought it out and ask if I was interested. I am almost embarrassed to say that the price was $30. Had a guy at our local bike shop put in the campy bottom bracket and he said that one had never been installed. Would the Columbus tubing be SL? I am putting the Modolo brakes on this that I got from Locomotion. Need a lot of other parts. Great to know it is early 80’s. Excited to get any info I can. The bottom bracket has a 56 on it, but after measuring it is a 57 and a half. I love all bikes, but keep coming back to the lightweights. Thanks again, Kevin.

-----

Hello Kevin,

Thanks so much for sharing this excellent find.

Constructed for incasso (recessed) brake mount.

Brake centres 47mm, usually referred to as "short reach."

Rear spacing, if unaltered, 126mm.

Tubing - yes, would expect Columbus SL or SLX at this time. One simple check you can make is to look at the interior of the steerer. Columbus steerers exhibit rifling.

Brakeset from member @locomotion -

these Modolo Speedy are set for incasso (recessed) mount so you are in luck there. their carton is labelled "STANDARD STRATOS", i.e. standard reach so their centres will be 52mm.

Couple links -

manufacturer catalogue, undated, looks ~1981

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/giovannini/

private for sale listing, frame higher calibre than fittings, frameset appears ~1976

https://www.subito.it/biciclette/bici-giovannini-sondrio-103987278.htm

10nvkhy.jpg

-----

Last edited:
Thanks again Juvela for the info, really cool to look at the catalog stuff. If the brakes are standard and I need short reach will they still work? Also would this had 3ttt or Cinilli

Sorry got posted too quick. Cinelli stem and bars? Figured I would go with Campy on the drive train.

------

wrt brakes -

the Modolo Speedy set will have 52mm centres and reach upwards to ~48mm and downwards to ~56mm so it is a bit tight. may require some fiddling/adapting. close either way. first order of business should be to drop some 700 wheels into frame and measure the actual brake centres. ...always best to measure first ;)

caveat - it is perfectly possible am mistaken regarding the brake centres and they may be 52 rather than 47. three things come together with the frame to cause one to expect 47: quality, date and recessed brake caliper mount. "usually" if a frame has recessed mount it will be "short reach" and if it does not it will be "regular reach" (or longer). it is however possible to find short reach frames which are not recessed and standard reach frames which are.

wrt stem/bar set -

catalogue shows the two lower models (of complete bicycles) as coming with Schierano (Domenico Schierano was an Italian cycling champion during the early years of the last century). https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domenico_Schierano the top model is shown as coming with 3TTT Superleggero.

no model is described as being fitted with Cinelli stem/bar set.

certainly nothing "wrong" with employing Cinelli.

-----

Last edited:
Thank you again so much for all your information and help. It is greatly appreciated. I am enjoying learning as I go and looking forward to this project and the tremendous help of fellow Cabers. And hope that one day I will have the knowledge to pass along as well. Juvela, your expertise, time and patience will help this fellow lover of all bicycles get a little further down the road.

-----

Found one possible source for the Giovannini name.

There is a retail shop operated in Pegognana Italy by two partners.

One of whom is named Ernesto Giovannini.

It might be that the framesets/cycles represent a house brand for the shop.

For a retail shop to have a house brand which is contract built is fairly common in Europe.

Should the marque represent a contract build MauriceMoss is sure to be able to identify the maker when he drops by...

https://www.paginegialle.it/pegognaga-mn/biciclette/bike-co

https://www.misterimprese.it/lombar...endita-al-dettaglio-e-riparazione/617398.html

(in Italy it is the standard practice to write men's names last first)

---

Dating note -

find it interesting that the cycles/framesets illustrated in the catalogue appear to be very close in time to your example.

presently leaning toward a date window for your purchase of '79-'82.

-----

Back