When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New old stock Solar bicycle light fiasco

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It can't hurt. Most people would have no use for those lights, or even know what they were for.
And that was my initial assumption but I can imagine a situation where they may not understand the real value of the lights but may want to buy themselves enough time to figure it out. I feel like I would be able to surmise from the packaging and the age of these items, that they were potentially valuable even if I wasn’t situated in the hobby.

Last edited:
Go to your nearest police station, explain the situation and ask one of them to accompany you to the address.
I considered this as well but I’m wondering what legal protections I have considering the package was actually addressed to their home? If I have no legal protection here then the NYPD won’t be interested in hearing anything I have to say. Plus, I have no way of knowing that they actually received the package. They could easily claim that the Postal worker left the package on their stoop and someone stole it (which is a real thing that occurs often in Brooklyn).

You should continue to pursue a refund with the auction company. Stay on it, because part of their performing on their end was to properly address and tender the items to the shipper.

Only you can assess how safe it is to go to the address. I am lucky to live in a small town where a knock on the door would very likely get you the item back. If you feel safe going to the door and knocking again, I would see where it goes. If that won't go anywhere, you can go to the local police station and at least ask an officer what can be done. There may not be much if the address on the package is wrong, but a lot depends on the officer you get. I know a couple officers here who try to be helpful and would go to the address and at least ask about what happened, but again this is a small town and not Brooklyn.

You should continue to pursue a refund with the auction company. Stay on it, because part of their performing on their end was to properly address and tender the items to the shipper.

Only you can assess how safe it is to go to the address. I am lucky to live in a small town where a knock on the door would very likely get you the item back. If you feel safe going to the door and knocking again, I would see where it goes. If that won't go anywhere, you can go to the local police station and at least ask an officer what can be done. There may not be much if the address on the package is wrong, but a lot depends on the officer you get. I know a couple officers here who try to be helpful and would go to the address and at least ask about what happened, but again this is a small town and not Brooklyn.
I think this is all sound advice and is basically the strategy that I’m currently following. The auction house verbally promised me a refund on Friday but his lack of responsiveness suggest that he may have had second thoughts. We’ll see where that goes and if I have to file a formal complaint.

The second part of your recommendation I’ll pursue later today. I’ll swing by and if someone answers the door, I’ll get a better sense as to whether they’ll be cooperative.
If I receive a refund tomorrow (assuming I don’t get positive results from the residents of the address) I’ll just count my losses and move on.

I agree that if this were a small town, it would probably be easily resolved. In fact, the postal worker likely would have recognized the name and delivered it to the correct address. I’m originally from rural Eastern NC so I know how small town life is.

Last edited:
Man I hate to make “light” of this bad situation but if the Kennewick man showed up at my door step , I would be inclined to return his ancient beacons

D1EEE31E-F3A2-4C4C-A00B-54D9BE2941AF.jpeg

Back