When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Phantom Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have an original 53 with the hub mounted tail light switch. I think 53 was the last year it was used. Your bike looks great. As you now know, they ride great too! Did you get the missing key situation resolved?

Last edited:
I did wind up gettnig a key. The bike rides very nicely. I'm excited to get it completely finished, but now I am riding it all over the place!
Tim
MBL

Ok. So I've been riding the crap outta this bike! Its a smooth runner. I did notice that the front fender likes to bounce around against the truss rods...any ideas for this racket?
Tim
MBL

You do have the little tab bracket that mounts the fender to the bottom of the fork right? I have three Phantoms and a B6 and do not have this problem. V/r Shawn

I do have the little tab, but it seems that truss rods do not travel exactly down the center of the relief in the fender...I may need to adjust this.
Tim
MBL

Ok...so I took a look. The little tab thing when tight does limit the bouncing about, but the tab could stand to put the mouning about 1/8" further back...this would help the truss rods to go right down the middle of the relief in the fender. Oh...and I got the headlight working!
Tim
MBL

NICE bike! I'd love to have one like yours! What I find interesting is how many Phantoms were taken apart and are found by collectors like you missing wheels and other parts. These where always popular bikes, why would even a kid back in the 50's mess it up? No real answer I guess, just something that crossed my mind.
I love to hear about people that collect and RIDE their bikes. Have fun sir!

Less Was More....

NICE bike! I'd love to have one like yours! What I find interesting is how many Phantoms were taken apart and are found by collectors like you missing wheels and other parts. These where always popular bikes, why would even a kid back in the 50's mess it up? No real answer I guess, just something that crossed my mind.
I love to hear about people that collect and RIDE their bikes. Have fun sir!

Thats how the middleweights came to be.The heavy ballooners with all of their big components fell out of favor with the public.They were around since the middle 30's and a change was refreshing.We wouldnt be caught dead on a "Tank" as we called them back in the 60's and 70's,we liked the 20" "highrise bikes" and ten speeds.The only ballooner I can remember was my friends Dads 30's Schwinn that had been sitting in the back of the garage forever,we hated it.The only middleweights in our crowd were mostly from Sears and a few Schwinns for paper routes. I really like ballooners these days and have a few(guess I really am getting old) mainly 'cause I sorta fit on them.I know how stupid I must look on a Sting-Ray and my Typhoons seem small these days but I still love em,less is truly more even today....BTW,Sweet Phantom

Last edited:
Well I got the early-style tail/brake light to work. Its pretty neat. Now just to find a front brake lever.
Tim
MBL

Back