When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Phantom Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Original Schwinn frames ; the fender braces are riveted & will show their age. ( Unless someone takes the care to make them look new or they're N.O.S.)
Reproductions ; will have nut & bolts on the braces . Years ago, I bought some very well made repos from Memory Lane.
For me ,the "golden age of bicycles was from the 1980's to 1990's when there were several bicycle newsletters or clubs including
The Cabe and there was more parts offered by Schwinn. I remember the Columbia & Western Flyers & other repos that were offered then.
I bought one until I could find an original vintage bike.
One day I bought an original Schwinn bicycle ringer for the handlebars, for $5. Another time another vendor wanted $100 for a similar one. It all
depends on who's selling & how much it means to them or you. Good Luck !

I wonder what I should do about that bit showing through. Does it make sense to touch up that area. It is a bit distracting. The rest I am leaving as is, and the Memphis Motorcycle Company is there to stay. Just think of how that bike was rolling around town as Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Warren Smith ect. were playing just up the road a bit at Sun Studio! It will be my "birth of Rock 'n roll" phantom!

I know it's silly, but what do you expect from a rockabilly?
Tim
MBL

Ok here is a question that may be obvious...what does one do if the locking fork key is missing? Do you just have a key made by a locksmith? I remember there are key codes associated with the locks...are these good for anything?
Tim
MBL

Of my 4 Phantoms one of the key reads "Cole" USA- Y12, the other 2 read "Yale" and one reads "made in US'' for Arnold Schwinn & Co. Some could be
copies & some original , hard to tell !

If is a yale key pattern, then I'd expect a locksmith may be able to find a blank that would fit. 4 Phantoms you say?! Cool! You must have some neat variations. I had a green phantom as a kid and sold it to help fund a car purchase. Always regretted getting rid of that bike. Hopefully soon I will be able to ride a phantom again.
Tim
MBL

Try Wes Pinchot at [email protected] , he has an article on repairing cyclelocks. He would know about the key issue.
Of my bikes that I have , I'm guessing that the "key" word is Yale….looking at the one that reads "Cole" Y-12" ….this Y-12 could refer to Yale.
Good Luck !

I just checked on my Schwinn Dealer catalog (1949) on all Bicycles & accessories-parts. There is a break down of all parts relating to the Schwinn Cyclelock.
And the picture for the key is Yale. There is no number or code. Hope this helps some !

Someone was parting a Phantom last in the last couple of weeks.....

I have an AS seat clamp available..... I'm not sure the one you

have is correct, but an old "D" bolt AS one is cooler.... I have the

handlebars too.....

I got some bars from the board, but they're not going to be usable for me...I did get a nice correct set on ebay for less than half the price...so I am good for bars. The seat post clamp I might be looking for in a bit if mine is indeed incorrect, but there is no rush on that. I will be on the hunt here soon for a decent original paint chainguard.
Tim MBL

Last edited:
Back