When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new pick up...looking for info on it...

-

indianfaze

Look Ma, No Hands!
i just came up on this oriole saftey bike today. i was wondering if any of you experts know anything about this model.i would love to know when it was made and by who?... thanks......chris
orioleee-1.jpg

oriolee-1.jpg

oriole-1.jpg

Last edited:
Check the model of the rear hub,the name might be stamped on the shell or the brake arm. I can't tell if it has coaster brakes.Take out the crank,it looks like a forged Ashtabula unit and might have the year stamped onto it. Nice find,great shape..

Pat

Last edited:
Pat, thanks for the info, ill check and see if i can find any #'s on it. i havent really had a chance to look it over because im on the road and its 10 degrees outside...jim, thanks for that info on the date..i got the bike from a guy who collected a few bikes over the years and was moving a few of them. it in pretty good shape. im going to get some grips for it and clean it up when i get a chance....

Andrew, what purpose did the "mounting peg" serve? Super old school BMX Freestyle? riding a one legged pal around on the back???

Bikes that period were pretty close coupled- the top tube is shorter than we're used to and the frames were usually a lot taller. A 21" bike is a little tall for me by today's standards, but a ca. 1908 English book says I'd use a 24". It would be really difficult to straddle the bike and push off, especially with a fixed gear. So, you'd mount and dismount from the back using the peg as a step. Here's a video:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-rear-peg-mount-fixie-fixed-gear-bicycle-173132/
There's a slick way the hipsters dismount to the rear too, but I couldn't find a video. Sheldon Brown describes it at:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html
Just scroll down to dismount

the other bike is a iver johnson truss frame bike. thanks for all the info guys. very interesting video of the left peg push off!. ,,,.chris

Back