When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Poll: what Era had the best bikes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Which Age Had The Best Bikes?

• Ordinary - Highwheels

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Early Safeties and Motor Bikes

Votes: 32 10.2%
  • Prewar Ballooners

Votes: 181 57.8%
  • Postwar

Votes: 45 14.4%
  • Middleweight

Votes: 20 6.4%
  • Muscle Bikes

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Lightweight

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Modern Cruisers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mountain Bikes

Votes: 6 1.9%
  • Road Bikes

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
Some of the amazing things the early safety builders did are still awaiting a second act.

vbulletin

There are few new ideas. Just ideas forgotten long enough to market as new!
276370d1183371065-official-slingshot-bikes-thread-immagine%20005.jpg

I like Early Safeties and Motor Bikes best because they were still basic bicycles used for transportation (and recreation) while not being quite as victimized by the drive to sell for looks.

I love the look of pre-war ballooners but they are normally HEAVY!!!

I pretty much like all bicycles although BMX isn't high on my list.

What I grew up on.

Heve to go with the post war ballooners, grew up on a second hand DX that had been painted GOLD. Loved that bike and it is the first "collector" I had to find. Got it in trade for a banjo repair, tuned up and rides just like I remember. What could be better. Bob

Mountain bikes were really cool one and they are free style bikes, my childhood is spend with this bi-cycle and i really love its architecture.

Prewar due to the design, artwork, and ride stability, and attention to comfort. I love the deco designs that were incorporated into the frames, chain guards, fenders, lighting, sprockets, etc.

These bikes during that period (or vintage) set a certain standard that captured the public eye. Most younger folks desired bikes more than needed one, and these designs were targeted towards them to make sales. In the postwar designs, we were heading for the moon, and the bikes, cars, and almost everything that was sold promoted this (looking into the future). Rockets and flying were at a high in those days.

Today, we have all these great designs to pick from, and it's not surprising that the older era (prewar) designs stick out, because the styling and durability of these bikes has much more wide spread appeal, to the collector and enthusiasts (like me).

Good thread!

Mr D.

I have no particular favorite-Heres why
I cannot find prewar let alone afford them-(this is often a forgotten issue with the purists)
I preffer original bikes but will rat rod a too far gone rust heap
post war ballooners scream style but are getting tough to find
middleweights ride great
lightweights are fast
I grew up with Musclebikes and love there beefy (look at me) appearance.(they should get more respect)

I love my muscle bikes as they are plentiful,i own ballooners original and ratrod,mids and lights too.If this makes me less of a bike enthusiast so be it.

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to compare all those sorts of bikes, you know, I wouldn't ride my road bike on rough paths as I would do with a MTB, nor ride 150 km on a balloon tire bike (I have the road bike for that) or even use my road bike for day to day commute. all bikes have a specific purpose. you can't compare apples with oranges.

my two cents... :p

Pre-war bikes get the laurel for style, grace, and sheer beauty. But I don't own one, nor have I ever ridden a bike that old, so I can't speak for the ride. My favorite period for design, however is the late 50's- early 60's. I just love the inherent optimism of that futuristic "We're goin' to the moon" look. I know this isn't a bike, but I am hugely nostalgic for the future that cars like this promised us:
1954 Ford Atmos​

1954_Ford_Atmos-1.jpg

JWM

JMW has hit it on the head.
Love that Ford. Can you imagine Mom and Dad driving up in the driveway with that. Futuristic is the image I love.
Wish I could afford the Ballooners, these bikes got me started in the hobby. But considering my budget the middleweights are filling the garage.
The post war bikes are rugged and also became futuristic. You just couldn't damage these bikes.
Love the various styles of lighting options on the Middleweights. Tanklights and tailights are my obsessions.

MIDDLEWEIGHTS is my vote.

Back