When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New purchase: Schwinn Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jaimzb

On Training Wheels
This is my first post to this forum. What a fabulous resource!

Today I purchased a very nice Schwinn Corvette. The serial number database states this bike (ser. no. L91510) as either a 1954 or 1956 model. I am assuming 1956 since I saw a post stating that there were no 1954's on the market (?). It has the Sturmey Archer 3 speed.

The tire code on the GoodYear Eagle 134's place them circa 1965.

I think the seat may be a replacement. If anyone could let me know the correct seat it came with, I will look for one. I do like the ones with the "S", but I also read these did not come into play until 1959. Maybe I will try to locate one anyway, since I do like the look.

Lastly, the rear fender reflector is missing. Is it the teardrop style, or a round one?

Thank you for your help!
Steve

corvette1.JPG

corvette2.JPG

corvette3.JPG

corvette4.JPG

corvette5.JPG

corvette7.JPG

corvette8.JPG

Welcome to the Cabe jaimzb. The rear reflector would be the 1-3/4" round Stimsonite #10. Looks like your Corvette has been completely refreshed with new paint and some newer parts. Check the rear hub for a date, maybe that will narrow down the time period it was built. The 54 dated serial number is the one I'm going with, not 56, since your Corvette has the 1955 chain guard. The serial number date is not a build date and there were lots of Corvettes with 54 serials along with quite a few being made and sold in 1954.

1588121172747.png

Thank you very much GTs58! The bike definitely looks like it had a refresh done to it, but the person I bought it from did not know. Here is a pic of the serial number, and of the hub. I thought Sturmey Archer put dates on their hubs of this era?

corvetteSerialNumber.jpg

SturmeyHub.jpg

Looks like the rear wheel set has also been changed out, it's not a SA hub. I should have noticed that little detail but skipped right over it. :eek:

Sheldon Brown, in one of his write ups, talks about a "333" Shimano 3 speed coaster brake hub. Look at it this way. You'll find the correct hub, if that's your choice, then you'll learn how to lace a wheel. But before diving into the shallow end of the pool, read what S. Brown has to say about some of the early SA hubs; could be that's why it's been replaced.

Yes, you can call it a custom instead of Frankenbike. It has incorrect grips, gooseneck, front rack, Schwinn decal, pedals and the brake calipers look somewhat suspicious to me. I wouldn't be in a hurry to change the seat out, if it's a Mesinger it's much more comfortable than any of the black & white Schwinn seats.

Back